Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Relocating, need advice for changing to a new PCP, PM clinic etc. Plz Help!

Hello everyone! I'd like to say thank you all for the fantastic, detailed advice and shared experiences on SH. Thank you!

I'm relocating from Northern California to Southern California within the next few months. I've seen the same PCP, PM clinic and pharmacy for the past 20+ years. MY PCP doesn't seem concerned enough for me to feel comfortable with his casual statement that I should easily be able to find a new PCP, PM clinic and pharmacy. I have my doubts, I feel he's thinking I'll be just fine and can pop in to just about any new PCP's office and become a new patient. He plans to write me a 30 day supply of my chronic pain medications and happily send me on my way.

I know I should probably have my medical records (my PCP did mention this is needed) and any recent MRI's and medical records from my recent hospitalizations. I do have those ready and will pack them in a safe easy to find place for my move.

I know I should surf up and call as many of the PCP's PM clinics as I possibly can before I make this move.
It's going to be a difficult physical and mental/emotional challenge to just pack/sell the house/and drive back home to my families place in So, Calif.

If there are any other suggestions to help me make this transition go smother, please let me know. I may have missed some important things "to do" and perhaps there are some good ideas I can learn from the hive mind of SH's forum. I need advice!

Thank you in advance!
Severe chronic scoliosis in low back and Type 2 diabetes.

I'm moving from Northern California to Southern California and concerned about changing from my current PCP/PM clinic to a new PCP/PM clinic. Need helpful advice!

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 12/06/2014 - 4:00 AM
    be moving to, schedule a consultation appointment with them, and send them your records before your arrival , so the new doctor has time to review them, in depth, before your consult appointment.
    Most of the pm offices want to review the patient history, of treatments, surgery, imaging studies, previous medications, before they decide to take on a new patient......so I would start there.
    And don't expect that your first visit with any of them will get you medications. Most pm's offices won't do that, instead wanting to see what a urine screen comes back as, and then discuss other options, not just medications. So before your move, I would make the consult appointments so they occur just after your arrival, then you can determine which doctor you are going to use, and get through the first appointment, then arrange for further appointments once you decide which doctor you prefer.

• Thanks for the reply! It's a good start plan.

If any one else has more suggestions please post them here.

I'll read the links you sent and start contacting PM clinics and send them my records. I'll be organizing them more and more as I pack for my move. A urine screen is fine with me. I don't drink alcohol (never have been a drinker, thankfully!) or use any medication I am not prescribed. I follow the rules, all I want is to ease the chronic pain.

My PCP is a good Doctor and he has told me the new doctor or doctors I will be seeing can call him to discuss my health history, as well as sending me with a copy of my chart. I have some of the hospital records and surgery records, too. I am concerned about how I send those huge MRI films. I can not afford to send them to several PM clinics, perhaps the clinics will ask me for electronic or printed MRI findings? My scoliosis is clearly visible in the recent MRI films.

I have done PT years ago and lost weight recently (now down to normal weight, yay!) I am not agreeable to another back surgery and have been told I have "retractable pain" which means they really cannot do another surgery and every time I ask about alternatives the doctors and PM clinics tell me they have high failure rates. No to pain pumps, tens units, etc. My NS told me that at my age (53) with diabetes a surgery would require a full blown fusion of several levels in my lumbar and it's simply too risky and not worth it. I do use silicone gel filled quality ice packs at night and a heat pad and stretch and do whatever else that is non chronic pain med or surgery related. I've changed the work I do and never asked for an increase in pain medications since the PM Doc began prescribing Oxycontin, Clonazepam, Gabapentin, Percocet for break through pain, Roboxin, and Ibuprofen, Recently I saw a PM Doc and he suggested an increase of the Oxycontin ER and lower the Percocet. I haven't followed through with his suggestions, but I think he may be on the right track. I don't know if there's time to see him before I move. I could go see the PM doc that first and recently (2013) discovered the spinal infection which has led to my scoliosis and a host of other lower back problems (bone spurs, DDD, cracked vertebrae, arthritis in lumbar region, excessive scar tissue in lower lumbar, twisted vertebrea, and more I'll need to look up in my records). He knows my PCP very well and is the PM doc who referred me to my current PCP. He's close by and maybe I should go back and see him to discuss my move and follow through with the suggestions of my other visit to the PM doc who suggested I lower the percocet and increase the Oxycontin ER. It's so time consuming and confusing and stressful, especially since I don't have much help where I live and no family here to help me. Sorry to complain... it's more of a vent!

Over the years I have had several epidurals, drop foot in both legs, and the list goes on. Some of my records were no longer available since they are over 7 years old, but I do have many recent records and of course my chart from my long time PCP. I know he'll be helpful, he's very busy and he stated these news laws are a hassle for him but I know he'll do his best to help me get a new medical "team". I will have a 30 day supply of my pain meds and I would not expect any new PM clinic to prescribe more until they meet me, do a urine screen and whatever other tests they deem necessary. I hope they don't ask me to go back to a 6 week PT course. I've done that twice and it simply did not cure my back pain, that's been over 10 years ago and when I finally went to the local hospital's PM clinic and that Doc began prescribing my pain meds. I was NOT happy about it because I never even took an aspirin before this darned failed back surgery in 2000. But it has been very helpful, I can walk and I feel the side effects are wroth some quality of life.

Again, thank you and if anyone else wishes to chime in with any more suggestions, please do!

I will revisit this page and respond with progress as often as I can. I'll also post what I learn as I call PM clinics in the town I'll be moving to (Ventura County, California) If is allowable according to the TOS here please post or Private message me with any suggestions if you know anything about good PCP's and good PM Clinics in Ventura, Calif.

Thank you in advance.

Severe chronic scoliosis in low back and Type 2 diabetes.

I'm moving from Northern California to Southern California and concerned about changing from my current PCP/PM clinic to a new PCP/PM clinic. Need helpful advice!

• and they can provide you with a copy of the imaging tests on a cd, which you can copy onto other cds on your computer. You can make copies of the reports , although most imaging places will include the report on the imaging cd, so it won't cost so much to send those reports. You can also download many release forms on some doctors websites, send them to the doctors you are consulting and they can request your records if they need to.....