Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Diagnosed with "very large" disc herniation - C6-C7

srk0073ssrk0073 Posts: 2
edited 12/08/2014 - 12:40 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi guys!

New to the forum here. I am 28 yrs old and have recently, been diagnosed with a large herniated disc (C6-C7) most likely from overdoing at the gym or elsewhere. Initially, I had neck pain accompanied by finger and forearm numbness and mild radiating pain throughout my arm for the first week. Now, after 3 months I only have mild neck pain and numbness in my index finger than has not gotten worse or better since this all started. After unsuccessful tries with PT and oral steroids, I'm currently receiving epidural steroid injections (first one was 5 days ago- haven't noticed improvements yet). One neurosurgeon and one orthopedic surgeon both recommended ACDF, which I refuse to do at my age. I am very interested in disc replacement, but again,with my age I am very hesitant to try as well.

The main thing I wanted to ask is if anyone else has experienced a large cervical herniation without pain, but is still experiencing numbness?

I do have an appointment with Dr.XYZ from the ABCn Institute in Philadelphia next week. From what I've read, he's a very experienced and decorated spine surgeon who does perform disc replacements.

Like I said, I'm fairly youg, very athletic, and this injury is really holding me back from doing the things I love. Is there anyone out there that has experienced a similar situation?

Thanks for listening!

Post edited. Forum violation to name specific doctors or medical institutes. Please refer to the forum rules

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    herniation is not as important as to the location of the herniation.
    The terms Grade and Zone are much more important in determining the overall impact of a disc problem.

At any age, if surgery is avoidable that this is the path to take. Conservative methods should always be tried. But that is something that only you and your doctor can say for sure. We are in no position to tell you differently.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had C5-6 herniation. It started with acute pain, but then later I had very little pain at all. The other symptoms got worse, though, numbness , zapping, and tingling especially. My hands and feet would often feel like they were thawing after I had been out in the cold (even in 80 degrees). Had ADR on Dec. 2, all neurological symptoms are gone!
  • Thank you both for your responses. Does anyone else know from their own experience what it could mean if the "chin tuck" exercise worsens the pain in the neck? . I know not to do them if they are painful, but it really is the only motion I am limited with.

I will be asking this question to another surgeon next week, but just wanted to put it out there in the meantime.
  • I don"t know but I was prescribed the "chin tuck" today at PT as well. My PT says use as much motion as I can with everything. It makes me uncomfortable without an MRI.
  • I had a herniated c5-6 that had no pain. Severe numbness/tingling in arms hands, midsection, legs and feet. Weakness in those areas also. Felt off balance, but not dizzy. My gait was stiff legged and I had to kind of hold my arms out to balance myself. Had clonus that would go on for minutes just from a touch or putting my bare foot on the floor. I would get very fatigued very quickly. Mine was a little strange.

I had disk replacement and it was great, no numbness, good range of motion. The walking, not so much: / It was seven years ago had very no official pt other than a few days before being discharged, still have a little drop foot in both legs. Steps are not my friend. Still have some balance issues too.