Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleep Problems Since Herniated Disc at C6/C7, But not in Pain..

AudiNick18AAudiNick18 Posts: 2
edited 12/09/2014 - 1:12 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone, This is my first time posting anything here, got some great info from everyone on here during my recovery of my Herniated Disc @ C6/C7. I fell down wake boarding on 6/4/14. A few days later I woke up with the worst pain of my life shooting down under my shoulder blade and triceps. Left tricep was weak and numbness in left index finger and thumb. Saw a Neurosurgeon and had an MRI done. Showed a small Herniation that was touching the nerve root at C6/C7. Was told I shouldn't do surgery and that the disc should shrink and the nerve should regenerate over time. Was given a Prednisone pack and did PT for 2 months with Traction. Well it's been a little over 5 months and I can honestly say that my condition gradually got better. I am no longer in Pain, but the numbness is still present, the tricep got stronger, but the muscle tone still looks weaker. I don't even think about the disc issue anymore. But my problem has been my Sleep. About 3 weeks after Herniating the disc I started waking up during the night while dreaming. I fall asleep normally, but Just Wake up for no reason at all after about 3-4 hours of sleep. I usually fall back asleep within 5-10 minutes, but sometimes it takes longer. And then I keep waking up every hour or so until I have to go to work. This has been going on for about 4 months. I now feel like my anxiety has gotten worse and it has kinda affected my life, I almost feel kind of depressed and unrested. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My Dr has tried Klonopin, Lunesta, but none of these really helped. He thinks its me just worrying about the injury and lasting symptoms I have (numbness/weakness). I just feel so helpless lately and just wish I could sleep thru the night like I used to. I don't know if maybe The disc is still irritating the nerve and waking me up or something. But like I said I don't really have any pain except when I press in the top left of my chest it's still slightly tender, but that really doesn't bother me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :) -Nick
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry, I don't have any answers but wanted you to know I feel for you. I'm a firm believer in good, solid restful sleep playing a huge role in our overall health and well-being. This may sound lame, but are you a milk drinker? A glass of milk and something like a PBJ sandwich before bed really relaxes me. I think it's the combination of the milk and carbs, but it does help. Read up on tips for a better night's sleep. You should be able to find a lot of info by searching google. Good luck to you!
    ab1988
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,904

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi , AudiNick18 I can relate. I was involved in a MVA where I sustained 3 herniated discs and a few other injuries. I have a hernation in the same location as you, and had many of the same symptoms. And interrupted sleep was one of them, I spent months trying several different medications to help me sleep, muscle relaxers, Benzos. And nothing worked, my doctor finally prescribed me ambian a couple of months ago, and I have been able to sleep at night. Im not sure what causes the interruption of sleep from the herniated disc, possibly nerve compression, inability to get comfortable, or if you have stopped taking any meds recently. I have recently had an ESI in my lumbar spine, and will be having one in the cervical area soon. Im trying alternatives, as PT and meds only go so far. But for me, the ambian was a major help, getting adequate sleep is a huge part of recovery. I wish I had an exact answer for you, but all I can say, Is if your sleep cycle has been off for weeks and not days, its time to talk to your Dr about options. I hope you return to getting great sleep soon.
    Bw
  • AudiNick18AAudiNick18 Posts: 2
    edited 12/15/2014 - 4:59 AM
    Hi BNW, thanks for the reply. I did talk to my Dr. And he gave me Lunesta and it helped me sleep for a couple of nights and then I woke with a really bad panic attack the 3rd night after trying a half of a pill. Now I am scared to take the Lunesta again. Like you said im not sure what causes the sleep disturbance, i just want this all to pass :(
  • AudiNick18 said:
    Hi BNW, thanks for the reply. I did talk to my Dr. And he gave me Lunesta and it helped me sleep for a couple of nights and then I woke with a really bad panic attack the 3rd night after trying a half of a pill. Now I am scared to take the Lunesta again. Like you said im not sure what causes the sleep disturbance, i just want this all to pass :(
    Hi,

You can do you neck stretch before going to bed and don't sleep on your stomach will work for you. If you wake up between sleeps pls do neck stretches for 10 mins and go to your sleep will work. Hope this helps

Only your self confidence will help you to recover at any time and through out life
advertisement