Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opinions in Herniated Disc with Foot Drop Situation

anon4458aanon4458 Posts: 1
I woke up to shooting pain down my right leg and foot drop about 3 weeks ago. The shooting pain went away after 2 days and I am pain free, but the foot drop remains. I got an MRI done last week and confirmed that I had multiple herniated discs, with the largest herniation at the L4/L5 with 7mm protruding. I've consulted with a neurologist who recommended I get surgery as soon as possible so as not to risk permanent damage to my nerve, which would leave me with permanent foot drop. I'm 20 years old and this was the first time getting a herniated disc. My foot drop has improved slightly and I'm able to drive again but even the surgeon claimed this was a 50/50 situation where it's ultimately up to me whether I should get surgery or not. It's important that I recover as fast as possible for sports, but at the same time, I'm a bit wary on the risks of getting a microdiscectomy. Also, there's no telling whether my nerve is already permanently damaged, so that even after decompression surgery, my foot drop may still remain. So right now, it's either get the surgery done on Dec 23rd, or opt for recovery on my own with PT and an AFO.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • So hey bro, what's foot drop??
    and no way! Sucks when stuff like that happens to us youngsters:\ since I'm 23. So your completely healed except for that foot drop thing u mentioned? And is the pain bearable to live with? Cuz surgery ain't no joke bro. Cuz thing could get worse, or better too. But the thing is that it could get worse! Or even get good for a second and still come back! And you'll go threw the pain for nothing!.
  • Hey how'd u go did u have surgery?
  • Did you have the surgery ??,, I had a microdisectomy in September,, due to L3/L4 huge disc herniation also got foot drop,, I had all symptoms beginning of July with foot drop,, nothing was done by my local hospital till I complained couple of weeks later,,, got refered to another hospital but surgeon said it was to late to save my foot surgery didn't improve it but he did say it wouldn't was only to improve pain in leg which it has,,, I still have the foot drop hasn't improved my big toe and next to it are numb still,, have a splint to wear,, can drive but I have an automatic,, see my spinal surgeon in February going to ask him to refer me to someone who may be able to tell me more about my foot drop,, had it for nearly 6 months now and still can't lift it up,,, I know it does take a long time for nerves to grow but thought I see a slight improvement,,,,