Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Symptoms worse post op

I had surgery on October 24,2014. Ever since then it seems like my symptoms have gotten worse, it feels like my arms are being electrocuted on and off and it's bad enough it wakes me up at night and I'm constantly in pain. I was just wondering has anyone's synptoms gotten worse after surgery? Is that normal?

• Ive had thoracic, cervical, and recently 12/1/14 lumbar surgery bia discecotomy. All of my surgeries have been helpful except the lumbar I had recently. It is burning almost 100x more than before it feels like. The numbness is terrible and Im hoping that it is just some access swelling or idk what to expect. They gave me an "emergency epidural" one week later that lasted about tqo days and Im almost right back where I was. This is quite disturrbing and so I can feel your pain. Perhaps someone else has or knows some insight on why this is or how long it might last? Hang in there - this soon will pass - I hope !!! Keeping a positive attitude is key in much of this believe it or not.
  • ive had surgery on my neck and back and felt electric nerve pain for several weeks. Each person heals at a different pace and each surgery is different. I took all prescribed pain pills as directed and took one day at a time. Only do activities your doctor suggested.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Nerves take a notoriously long time to settle down post op. you are only 8 weeks out. I know it's slow, but think what your spine has been through. It's graphic to say, but you were essentially filleted on an operating board, down to your spine. That is serious stuff! Give your body some time. Hang in there.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I am confused by it since my surgeon has neet seen synptoms get worse before. I have never been an easy case which is shown since I've had 3 fusions in less than 2 years so I'm just frustated with it. They placed me on lyrica to see if it will help with my severe neck pain and my surgeon is talking to a few pain doctors to see what options we have if it doesn't go away. On top of that I am now having sciatica pain because after surgery I fell often due to the drugs and anestesia so at my 3 month post op she is going to get a lumbar MRI and see what's going on. It's just one thing after another!
  • shortfuse5691sshortfuse5691 Posts: 407
    edited 12/15/2014 - 5:30 PM
    I live in the same situation, about to have my 3rd op on my neck. Fusion, lamminectomy, 2nd fusion. Lumbar diskectomy too. I am on lyrica and get relief from it. In my experience there are healing stages from the outside skin to the operative area. I also think scar tissue developes which could be a reason I felt good right away then a set back. My mental and emotions play a role too, if I was depressed my pain was higher. Hang in there :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.