Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post micro-discectomy, zero improvement

GeorgeHallGGeorgeHall Posts: 7
edited 12/10/2014 - 4:32 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone, I'll try and keep this as brief as possible!

Essentially, I'm 3 weeks post micro-discectomy (L5/S1) and my symptoms have shown no signs of improvememt, in fact I'd say the sciatic pain has got marginally worse. Given the fact that the nerve was compressed for 18 months this doesn't worry be too much (still early days...), however, on two seperate nights since the surgery I seem to have lost control of my bladder (waking up to find that I'd wet myself).

I've not done this since I was of the age where that's normal, I don't drink alcohol and I'm 22 years old. Can anyone shed any light on this or why it might have happened :/?

P.S. If anyone's down to have a micro-discectomy soon then feel free to ask any questions if you're (understandably) nervous etc :).

Thanks, George.
George H

• Did you contact your surgeon about your bladder issue? If not I'd be ringing them to see what they think.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
    Im from scotland got my l5s1 microdisection 5/12/14 I still have pain in my left buttock and ankle and cant feel my self urinating tho ive not wet myself the reason I got my op so quickly is here in uk your symptoms are a red flag I would goto your doc or phone your surgeon straight away for advice dont leave it , I found it embarrassing talking to doc about it but because it can be serious condition I spoke to them its called cauda equine syndrom please google it im not a doc this is only a suggestion good luck
  • GeorgeHallGGeorgeHall Posts: 7
    edited 12/11/2014 - 2:15 AM
    Thanks for the advice guys. I called the surgeon who said he will see me on Monday 15th (next Monday) instead of mid-January as previously planned.

He said not to worry too much but that he'd like to check me out anyway. Worrying but it's being dealt with at least! Best of luck with your surgery Hoggster.
    George H
  • edited 12/16/2014 - 6:14 AM
    I had this procedure as well and experienced pain about 3 weeks post op and was told that the nerves were waking up. I am now have serious issues. Be wishes to you Hoggster.
    Here is my issues that I also need advice on.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and seeking help. I have had intermittent paralysis and currently wear a leg brace for muscle weakness on my left leg. I have had a laminectomy, discectomy, and a foraminotomy on L5-S1 but experiencing left leg pain, instability, groin and hip pain. My VA doctor states that my results are satisfactory but I find this hard to believe. Someone please hel me make sense of these mess.

Cervical spine - diffuse disc bulge superimposed on spondylosis at C6-7. diffuse spinal stenosis. Disc space narrowing, osteophytosis at multiple levels are present, moderate to severe at C4-C5

Thoracic spine-
    T1 & T2 dehydrated with increased stir signal

Lumbar spine-

4 lumbar like nonrib bearing vertebral bodies are present. L5 bilateral transverse process anomalous circulation with the sacrum redemonstrated. Disc space narrowing, osteophytosis at multiple levels are present mild at L4-S1, slightly increased. L5 0.63cm anterolisthesis redemonstrated. Facet stenosis at multiple levels are redemonstrated. modrate at L5-S1 slightly increased.

No one is qualified to give you any information regarding any medical tests or results. You would need to discuss those with your doctor , or perhaps another consult.
    Maida L Kelly
  • Ok, well I'm just going to give you the advice that my surgeon gave me. If you have lost control of your bladder, that is a very serious symptom and you may only have a short period of time to address it before it becomes permanent, so it is considered an emergency. Now of course, this was given to me prior to my first microdiscectomy, but everything I have read seems to stress that this is not a "wait and see" kind of symptom. I would much rather be safe than sorry and risk permanent damage...get to the ER if at all possible. It is absolutely possible that you could have reherniated and if that's the case, then this could be a new symptom.

I don't mean to scare you, but as one who reherniated twice in just a couple months' time and now has likely permanent nerve damage in my foot, it is not something to fool around with. Don't be afraid to be pushy with the Dr. Sometimes you have to be your own best advocate. Good luck!
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
    Hi george was just wondering how you got on cheers