Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why am i experiecing numbness after my ACDF surgery?

kcas0772kkcas0772 Posts: 1
edited 12/11/2014 - 5:13 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had this surgery just over two weeks ago. I just saw my surgeon today for the first time since then and I’m a little confused. Here is a little background. Earlier this year I started havin numbness in both my hands and forearms. I had always had pains in my hands for many, many years. As far back as I can remember (I’m 42 now). I always assumed it was carpal tunnel. But this numbness started to interfere so much, even keeping me up all night. So I decided to get this looked into. I was sure it was carpel tunnel getting worse. My primary doctor suspected it was a pinched nerve and sent me to a neurologist for a nerve test and an MRI. The results of the nerve test showed some nerve issues, however, the neurlogist saw the significant problem with my MRI. I had discs compressing the spine. It was the C5-C7. My neurologist was sure it was not carpal tunnel. He wanted me however to visit 3 surgeons for opinions on whether a surgery was needed. All 3 surgeons sais exaclty the same things about my condition. The only kind of back pains or neck pains I’ve had were very minor, and the types of aches that I have had for many years. But these were very minor and seemed to be related to aging. However, my surgeon had no doubt this all was related to the spine issue. Before I went to the surgeons, my original neurologist gave me a perscription for a steroid to see if it could possible provide me with some temporary relief. This was back in July. And it worked great. Basically got rid of all the numbness. By October it did start coming back, but it was only once in a while, maybe once or twice a week. After the surgery I’ve had some back and neck pains, worse then before the surgery. The doctor told me this was expected and it made sense to me. However, he said the numbness was not expected and this was a concern. He basically said it very well could be carpal tunnel, even though before the surgery he and every other surgeon guaranteed it wasn’t. Anyway, he said he wants to see the nerve testing results, and is sending me for x-rays as the first step to looking into this. Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    edited 12/11/2014 - 5:16 PM
    You are so soon after surgery.
    Any spinal surgery takes time to properly heal and recovery. The overall process can take months and if nerves are involved it could be as much as a year.

You are bound to have ups/downs, this is all part of the common roller coaster ride.

For now, just do everything you doctor told you to do and avoid the things he told you not to do.

This all takes time.

But no one knows your body better than yourself. If you are really worried, then I would contact your doctor to discuss this with them.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com