Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motorcycle riding after microdiscectomy

Just checking if anyone out there has resumed riding on a motorcycle or bicycle after microdiscectomy surgery and if so, your own experience of when you resumed? I'm referring to normal riding, not motocross or racing. Also, if on a road bicycle, isn't it stressful for the back to get in the aero tuck position? Does it hurt during and after?

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences out there.

• My surgeon told me I could resume riding 6-8 weeks post surgery. Unfortunately I re-herniated twice & ended up having a fusion. This time round he doesn't want me near a bike for 6-9 months post fusion :( I understand he wants me to be fused first. I ride a cruiser so I'm not sure about doing the aero tuck. I'd assume it wouldn't be too comfortable.
    I've gad the ok to ride a bicycle but haven't tried it yet. He cautioned me with 'ride on well formed tracks, no off road stuff & flat areas. We live in a hilly area so it's not possible yet.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    edited 12/12/2014 - 2:08 AM
    I had neck fusion surgery in June 2013 & my surgeon approved me to ride passenger on our bike , so in sept we took a trip from Pennsylvania to Key West Florida. Now, we did take our time getting there. Took lots of breaks. I think that was the best my neck ever felt! I was relaxed & having fun. I ended up needing another fusion surgery the following March & since then, I can no longer tolerate riding for very long. It really bothers me because that's the one thing my husband & I enjoy doing. Every year we would take trips across the country. I'm really hoping we can get back to that. I hope you can too.
  • se7enw00dsse7enw00d Posts: 11
    edited 12/12/2014 - 11:48 PM
    I'm one month post discectomy and haven't gotten on either the motorbike or a bicycle yet. When I read about people getting back to bicycling some months after surgery, I would have thought that would be worse than motorcycling because you're leaning forward somewhat and putting pressure on your lower back as you peddle. But then, maybe with the motorbikes, it's the vibrations that affect the spine?

Cathy & Veronica thanks for your replies, keep a positive spirit and may you have many more riding years to come!