Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally back

I am so sorry it's taken so long to come back to the forum.

Not even a week after I had my back surgery on October 21st, my oldest sister (just 59) was taken to the hospital and died November 12. Then I lost my 15 year old Mini-Schnauzer 2 weeks later...so these last 2 months have been HECK.

Okay, for those of you that are first reading about me or can't remember, I was the one who has had to deal with my back injury for 17 years because I'm allergic to metal. Severely allergic.

I have/had the following problems:

1. Herniated L5-S1
2. Bulged L4-L5 and L2-L3
3. Bi-lateral sciatica due to bone spur on L4-L5 gouging sciatic nerve.
4. Arthritis
5. Spondylthosis (whatever is the opposite of normal is what I have...most are thesis, I think, and mine goes the opposite way)

SO, I had surgery on October 21st. I was out on October 24th. I had a non-hardware fusion of the L5-S1, as well as the bone spur got removed. That is what caused the rapid degeneration in my back, actually. It was severing my sciatic nerve, causing, essentially, short circuits in my brain signals, causing horrendous pain and random and often falling episodes.

Tuesday was 6 weeks post op. I haven't been on pain medication for a good month. I'm "supposed" to be taking things slowly, and now, I am, letting fatigue be my guide being I have a super-human pain tolerance anyway.

Doctor says next month we will talk about PT, but I'm going to push for just going to a gym, instead.

Folks, I went from having to finally be on pain pills for 3 months (after dealing for 17 years without pain pills), to back to no pain pills, and other than my 5 inch incision being tight and my muscles being weak and easy to over-stretch, I am PAIN FREE.

I have done way too many things I should not be doing. For instance, when my sister went to the larger hospital a town over, I had hubby drive me to her, and then I started driving my elderly mother there daily (this was one week post op). 4 weeks post op, I cooked the entire Thanksgiving meal like I always do. 3 weeks post op, I forgot myself and bent down (brace on) to pick up a small piece of paper, and had no problems doing it.

My December 5th followup showed that I am actually exactly where I am supposed to be, the bone is starting to fuse, but recovery is reminded to be slow because of no hardware.

SO, that's me in a nutshell...thanks for letting me ramble!
17 years avoiding surgery, now it's unavoidable. Scared beyond belief.