Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Old pain patient, New to forum

quandryqquandry Posts: 19
edited 12/12/2014 - 7:34 PM in New Member Introductions
I humbly join this forum after reading a number of posts. It looks like a good fit for me. I hope most of you will agree that chronic pain effects all parts of our lives. Support and advice is critical care in our mutual goals of living a life worth living. I am old now (senior male) and have been in pain management for 24 agonizing years. I am looking forward to joining the conversation.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Welcome to spine health. May I ask what kind of pain you're dealing with? Do you have medications to help? 24 years is a long time of dealing with pain. I commend you for continuing to move forward and trying to get some joy out of life. I always try to remember all the things I'm blessed to have, that definitely helps get me through the day.

Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • wow, 24 agonizing years.. I've been at this for 2 and firgg 24 years are you kidding me!!!
  • and some even longer.........that's what makes it chronic. We do learn to manage and cope as best we can, and work within our limits to enjoy and get as much out of life as we can.
    Welcome Quandry, nice to meet you.
  • Pixie1016PPixie1016 Posts: 12
    edited 12/13/2014 - 8:45 AM
    Like you, thought it was time to get together with others in this boat after numerous surgeries and chronic pain related to those and other issues. It's important to know we are not alone, that others have gone through this and are even thriving (I'm looking forward to that last part!). Glad you're here.
  • I am a 62 year old male that lives in the high country of Colorado. 10,200 feet above sea level. Made a living as a pro ski patroller for most of my working life while spending the summer months as a land surveyor. A ski accident in 1989 while working destroyed my cervical spine. surgery and the usual helped but only for a few years while I continued to patrol and mountineer. Still land surveying at altitude but am now full spine degenerative disc and bone illness. Started in Vail, Colorado pain man. and have since moved to Frisco, Colorado for continuing medical treatment. Can only say that doing what you love to do helps to deal with the never ending pain.
  • quandryqquandry Posts: 19
    edited 12/13/2014 - 11:50 AM
    I am ambulatory and in the best shape i can be in for my age and history. I weigh in at 140 pounds (light) thanks to much hiking which I love to do. i am currently in therapy for depression, ptsd, long term pain disorder and P.T. Through the years I have taken oxycodone, hydrocodone, valium , xanex, sleep aids ofall types, P.T., accupucture, tramadol, muscle relaxers, neroutin, etc. You name it , I've tried it. Currently am using tramadol, vicoden, valium, xanex. and am in therapy. Signs and sypmtoms are what one would expect with spine related neurophathys. I am the real thing. it sucks.
  • It's a really good thing that you have been able to keep doing much of what you enjoy and are still active. It does help, to keep us moving and motivated to get on with living......as you said, the pain isn't going away but there is much we can still do that will bring us enjoyment and satisfaction.
  • Thanks to each of you, with such great economy of words (almost in a poetic way) . I wish and hope and pray for relief from your trials of the hurt, the heartbreak, the alarming regulations, the ultimate abandonment of friends and family that comes with living with an enemy inside.
  • It is rather sad that many people say they will be thinking of you and will visit, etc, but almost no one does. Do they think it's contagious? So, as you say, my circle has become smaller and smaller.
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 105
    Hi Quandry and welcome to the world of the broken in body but not in spirit...speaking for myself of course. After reading your posts I just wanted to say you have an artful way of profiling your life.
    Cheers! L~