Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what to expect after c6-7 surgery

sucanssucan Posts: 2
edited 12/12/2014 - 11:08 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
So thankful for this sight. I am having surgery on 12/19 and am worried about pain right after surgery and the use of a cadaver bone...any advice is welcomed!

• sucan said:
    So thankful for this sight. I am having surgery on 12/19 and am worried about pain right after surgery and the use of a cadaver bone...any advice is welcomed!
    I did not have the cadaver bone, I had a replacement so can't comment on the pain there. I was on a morphine drip for the first day and a half and then they moved me out of ICU and I was on a schedule with whatever pain killer they were using. There was definately pain but yah know I don't really remember it. I'm not a fan of pain killers and I was just taking hydrocodone one at bed and I usually woke up four or five hours later with pain, and would pop another, by Christmas. Be ready to have to hold your head on the side for a month or more when sitting up from a laying position, this was really the most painful thing for me the longest.

Funny my surgery was 12/18/07.

• I had an ACDF of c6 - c7 on March 19th of this year. I was worried that I would be a cripple for the rest of my life and never be normal again.
    I had the surgery because I was getting worse by the day, I was having huge muscle loss in my left arm, I couldn't move my head up without having severe migraines, always having to look down and just move my eyes. I remember the pain!
    Anyway I went in on March 19th, the surgeon wanted me to stay the night in the hospital becasue I had a drain tube put in afterwards but my wife drained it for me and they let me go home that night but I had to go back that next day for them to take the tube out.
    As soon as I woke up after surgery I could tell that things were better. I didn't have that shooting pain down my arm and I could move my head. No more headache. I was numb at the incision site for 6 months or so, he must have cut a nerve there or something but that was ok because I never itched or had any incision pain at all. My throat was extremely sore for the first few days afterwards, I used chloreseptic cough drops, they numb your throat and those helped a lot. It was sore from where they had to move my esophagus over to get to the spine. I had a hard time getting up from a laying down position, there was some pretty intense pain there but as soon as I was able to sit up it was gone.

I have a fairly simple job, I do a lot of sitting down and don't really lift to much so I went back to work 2 weeks after my surgery. I had to promise my surgeon that I wouldn't lift anything. I was pretty much pain free by that time as long as I took my pain meds as needed. I had followups every 2 weeks for 3 months and they would take x-rays to check my fusion.
    After my 3 months followup my surgeon told me I was completely fused or real close to having it be complete and I was ahead of schedule and he didn't need to see me anymore. He released me and told me I could do anything I wanted to do, which included riding a roller coaster if I wanted to.

I am very glad I had my surgery done, I remember walking the malls last year at this time not knowing how I was ever going to make it through and back to the car. I will be 9 months out on the day you have your surgery and I would never even know that I ever had anything wrong. I feel 100 percent pain free (from my neck) most days. It was well worth the few days of pain after the surgery.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, I had a lot of support from this site and I would like to return the favor. So if I didn't answer something you were wanting to know don't hesitate.