Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-L5 dis-- almost two years later

jcham12jjcham12 Posts: 29
edited 12/20/2014 - 5:57 AM in New Member Introductions
Today I'm struggling to go to the gym...

First year before ER surgery I was on crutches daily, cane and was told to loss weight before the dam burst. I was given minimal pain meds and told to have at it, so I did. I went from 315 to 275 over night but was unable to work out, just diet and once per week walking. On my wedding day, getting out of a limo in Hawaii the disc blew, pain like I've never known. 4 months later it was discovered that the disc did actually blow and I went in for ER surgery. First year I took no pain meds, no follow ups and just did my best to deal with the divorce. Ya do the math...

So after a year and horrible pain unable to work but a few hours a day I registered with a pain center. The meds they gave me, pain gone and started working both for myself and someone else but most importantly joined a gym. I was 288 at 32% bodyfat a year after surgery when I joined and again within two months dropped to 260 at 27% body fat. All was well but I felt I could have used an additional 8mgs of the pain med they were giving me at night. Instead they started a time released med and 3 months later the jobs ((now lost them)) the working out ((stopped all together)). Pretty obvious clear cut depression, I"m really XXXX Before surgery I felt as though I had to beg for meds so now after surgery and being given a good dose I did not argue but I also did not say anything when the time released was given. I did not want to XXX up what was going on, that obviously did not happen. It's like I can not win with meds and thats why after the first year I did not want to bother. Things were good but I was told I could not keep up with the work load without a 12 hour time release, I just wanted another 8mg of what I was taking but I felt as though they would think I was med seeking and and scrap the whole deal, so I did not say anything.

I suppose my point in registering is I don't think I've dealt with this surgery emotionally. I just blanked out an entire paragraph of rants and raves about meds, workouts, and depression. You would not be able to follow. I was looking around for workouts here on line but found nothing but I think by registering I just hope to talk to someone who had the same surgery and whats gonig on with them.?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • If nothing I'll make this a log for others to follow.... I made it to the gym to get caught up on dues, it's the hotest Gym in the area a big mistake as I call it sexercise. Got some new cloths and I"m off, a protein drink and I'll be at the gym for an hour, I hope.

This whole thing was wrong, had the Dr's said or someone would have said lose the weight or you will be in pain for the rest of your life and been given examples and test cases I probably would have done more. The pain I'm dealing with today is three fold, mind, body, and spirit. I have to start somewhere, today I am. I suppose just being here and talking about it... A Dr who graduates last in his class, what do you call him? ((DR)) .... had I only known
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 12/20/2014 - 6:01 AM
    I am not really sure what your questions are? Are they about the medications and dosages or are they about your surgery after care? Weight loss? Depression?
    Doctors make decisions regarding medications on what they feel is the proper type, dosage and quantity based on what they see in your images, surgery types, symptoms and other medical conditions. Dosages that we may feel we need , usually are much different than the ones that the doctors feel we need. There is no amount of medication that is going to make chronic pain go completely away.......we do have to learn to live with some level of pain and function as well as we can.
    Depression is common both pre and post op , and recovery can make it worse, because we find that we are unable to do things we were able to do before. There are many medications out there that both help ease pain, and help to treat depression. Are you seeing someone to help you with the depression? Excercise can also help ease both depression and it releases endorphins which also help to ease pain.....