Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post op & can't breathe...

I had a cervical disc replacement on November 11th between c6/c7 & if I walk enough to raise my heart rate or if I go up the stairs more than once my throat starts feeling tighter and tighter and I start wheezing and feel like I can't breathe to the point that I'm shaking .. Is this normal?

• Libby - Make sure you are not violating the lifting restrictions. Pick up a 12 oz can of soda vs. a 2 liter bottle, etc.

Also, when I had my cervical surgery about 11 years ago, I was given a medication to help with nerve pain for the few weeks post-surgery. I forget what mine was, but I found out I was allergic to it. I had to have someone go and bring me some benadryl quickly. My reaction was causing my throat to close and I was having breathing difficulty. Another nerve pain med didn't cause any issues and I continued along my merry way. Make sure you check your meds in case this might be an allergic reaction or side-effect.

Also, you are just a week more out of surgery than I am. Don't push things too fast. For my first 2.5 weeks, I had rented a hospital bed so I didn't have to climb stairs.

Take care of yourself.

• if you are experiencing difficulty breathing and accelerated heart rates.

5.12 You agree that any information, opinions or other content provided by doctors or patients on Spine-health.com forums is for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.
  • I had trouble breathing after the first month of surgery as well. Doctors attributed it to not being active for so long (laying in a hospital bed for weeks) and the iv fluids and being anesthetized.