Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5s1 microdissectomy still got symptoms after surgery worried

hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
edited 12/14/2014 - 4:32 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Im 42 fit healthy non smoking landscape gardener got my op on 5/12/14 for a massive prolapse l5s1 and not feeling myself passing urine not incontinant after not working from August this year , I have got alot more pain going down my leg than I did and still can't feel myself urinate pre op , what I would like to know is how long is the recovery roughly, im going to start walking distance im still a bit worried as ive used crutches for 3 months any advice would be welcome thankyou I have another topic under sciatica if you want more information on me

• Surgery isn't an "instant" cure, it's a repair of some structural issue, but your body needs time to heal, and if there is nerve involvement, it can take some weeks, or months to resolve if the damage is not permanent.
    Was your surgeon aware that you are unable to feel yourself urinate prior to surgery? What has he said about the chances of the nerves recovering?
    Nerves only recover, if they are going to , at a rate of about 1-2 mm per month, so it can take some time to see what healing is going to occur from any nerve compression or irritation.
  • hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
    Yes when I was taken in to NHS hospital it was a emergency as symptoms changed likely ces on mon 1st dec done mri on the Tuesday they were going to send me home and do op over the next 2weeks , I refused togo home, im no doc but because of symtoms i know its a red flag and surgeon done the op on Friday 5th kept me in till sun 7th and said its normal for symptoms still to be there and will go away in time I just feel he was fobbing me a story as I wouldn't leave hospital.
    Just an update still got pain down left leg ankle stabbing pains and pain at my tailbone has anyone else had this pain walking around 30mins as ive been told I shouldn't be till 6 weeks but need to get back to work as ive nearly been off 5 months any advice is greatfull
  • I need to get back to work soon too and ddon'tfeel ready. My doctor told me that the nerves will take about a year to regrow. The compression pre surgery really messed them up. Keep the faith!
    Just an update coming up for 7 weeks post op for l5s1 microdissection week 5 went about 2 mile walk if that next pain really bad at tailbone has anyone else suffered same thing ? I was hoping to go back to work at end of January but physiotherapy said it will take time ive not done anything stupid ?