Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery from c3/c4 discectomy & fusion and c6/c7 laminectomy: 6 months out

john64jjohn64 Posts: 4
edited 12/14/2014 - 11:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am new to this forum having thankfully found you when searching for more detailed information about my own surgery recovery. Six months ago I had a: c3/c4 discectomy & fusion (front entry) and c6/c7 laminectomy (rear entry). My core question is: How long will it take to recover? My pain/stiffness/numbness/stinging pain/hot pain - comes and goes. I am better after the surgery (the harsh, sharp pains are gone). However the surgery as you will all be familiar with - creates new challenges (stiffness being one). Some of my questions are: Was my surgery major? Why is there a rollercoaster effect with the pain? (some days I feel the battle is over, and subsequent days I feel as if it's worse and may never return to the point where I thought I'd improved - I feel very confused when this happens) Why does the pain move from spot to spot? My neurologist did a nerve conduction test and I have no nerve damage. An MRI was done post-surgery. The stenosis in c3/c4 mostly gone. c6/c7 has a bulging disc. Any advice/insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. In particular, why is the posterior forimanotomy/laminectomy chosen in some cases over a fusion? I'm concerned I may need a fusion now to follow this up. I live alone and save for the wonderful assistance of some friends after the surgery - I battle this largely alone. Thank you for any comments.

• I had acdf 5 6 and 7 on june 2 and still have stiffness and pain from between my shoulder blades and out across my lats. I started back to work this week driving a lift truck loading trucks. Very tired tonight with spasms across the traps from over stretching. I took 1 Norco to calm things down enough to get a good nights sleep.
    on bad days I still get some twitching in the fingers of both hands.
    My Dr told me it would be over a year before I would stop feeling like I've had surgery. Our type of surgery is considered major surgery.
    ACDF 5-6&7 June 2, 2014
  • I had cervical fusion C3-C7 on 9-24-14. Surgery went fine. Eperienced frozen shoulder on right side. No neck pain except from shoulder muscles. Started PT in an attempt to free up. All of my pain is from cut muscles. I figure 6-months to a year to get back what I had prior.

Jim Hill
    jim hill
  • thanks for your message. I'm now wondering why I didn't have fusion at c6/c7 instead of a foraminotomy. What is norco? I'll need to go back in to a doctor I think. Have had some really good days - but inevitably have very bad days too. The yo-yo effect I find puzzling and disheartening. I am glad to hear you went back to work. Thanks again crkrbob