Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do not allow your pain to isolate you from loved ones

quandryqquandry Posts: 19
edited 12/14/2014 - 11:13 AM in Chronic Pain
I stopped returning phone calls. I stopped returning invitations. I stopped all forms of communications with friends and family. Chronic pain seems to do these things. This continued for two years. I then had a crisis, a turning point. A friend passed away from a self afflicted gunshot wound. He was also a paramedic, and like myself had been injured without repair.. I had worked and taught ems with him. If any of you are isolating yourself, it may be time for a heart to heart with your therapist.
advertisement

Comments

• Lets hope this doesn't go unnoticed in each and every one of us.... And lets hope it doesn't take something traumatic to make us realize. We need to fight for our lives. YOU ARE worth it. Remember that you are still here, buried beneath the pain that envelopes who you are today, but you are still here, despite all that fear. Fight to be happy. Again, YOU ARE worth it.

Holding onto yesterday never goes well.... Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is too far away. That leaves today. Any one person can take on the BS of just one day. It's when we overwhelm ourselves with yesterday's stained past and mix it with tomorrows fearful uncertainty that things suddenly become unmanageable.

We need to realize that fear is the worst of all of this; fear is our real enemy. So get up, get out in the stormy weather of the real world and kick fear as hard as you can right in the teeth. Do so by staring at it dead in the eyes and then walking right through it into the storm. Let the rain kiss your skin. That’s the first step. Because once you’re wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore....
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    edited 12/15/2014 - 6:20 AM
    For those that have been here a while, you know I refer to it as Read about the Beast

In the beginning of your time spent with pain, nothing really makes sense. You know you are hurting and you see that others care about your pain. But over time, that caring seems to dwindle, WHY... because most people really dont understand the meaning of Chronic Pain. I know there are many members here that dont understand it either.

So after a while, you start to redraw a little, then some more and before long you have started to isolated yourself from everyone.

Thats when you kick yourself in the pants and Say ENOUIGH is ENOUGH. You start to move on, you get involved again, you established relationship, you see people. Sure you may not be able to do all the same as you did before, but it will feel good to get back. It might even get to the point where others can tease you about your condition and you readily accept that.

At my part time job, the young (20-27) tease me. "Get out of the way old man" , "Move aside, we need to get to that and waiting for you will take forever" Doesnt bother me a bit....First of all, its true. Second, why let it bother me. My only comment at times to those youngies, will be "Wait, your time will come"

Dont give up on anything. Because we have some spinal difficulties does not stop us from being human beings, and the last time I check, I am one of them.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Being new to this forum I would not know those things that have been discussed in past threads. So, please forgive for restating old advice. I must say I really enjoyed reading these good people's responses'. Terrific writing and interesting stuff. I guess it never hurts to restate some of the results of fighting the enemy within.