Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain and burning sensation

Jody02JJody02 Posts: 1
edited 12/19/2014 - 2:00 PM in Lower Back Pain

I had a spinal fusion (l5/s1) 8 months ago. I am not having the same pain I had before the surgery. All of the pain had shifted to my left lower back. I am also having a very uncomfortable burning sensation when I stand up or bend over and straighten my back. The pain on my left side is a dull deep ache.
I also am having leg pain and numbness in my left leg. One of the screws is by the nerve, but that is on the right side.
The results of my ct scan from November:

Redemonstrated are postoperative changes of L5-S1 fusion with
transpedicular screws and interlocking vertical rods. The right S1
pedicle screw is again demonstrated to traverse medial to the
pedicle, unchanged from the prior exam. There is no lucency around
the screws. No new fracture or malalignment is evident. Degenerative
facet hypertrophy and superimposed disc bulging are evident within
the lower lumbar spine without substantial canal or foraminal
stenosis. There is mild anterolisthesis of L5 on S1. No
paraspinal or prevertebral soft tissue abnormality is evident.
Sacrum and iliac wings are unremarkable. The visualized portions of
lung bases are unremarkable.

Here are the results from August:

Bilateral pars defects at the level of L5 are present.
Changes from L5 to S1 arthrodesis with posterior fusion plates and
bilateral pedicular screws are noted. At level of L5, surgical screws
are visualized without significant postop complications, with no
periprosthetic fracture, loosening, or subsidence. However at level
of S1, the right pedicle screw is positioned medially, passing
through the lateral aspect of the spinal canal including the expected
location of the descending right S1 nerve root in the right lateral

Normal segmentation with 5 non-rib-bearing lumbar vertebral bodies is
noted. Grade 1 anterolisthesis of L5 on S1 is noted. Vertebral body
height is unremarkable and there is no evidence suspicious for
compression fracture. No paraspinal soft tissue swelling or fluid
collection is present.

Not sure what most of that means but the doctor says the fusion looks strong, but cannot answer me about the burning feeling I have or left leg pain and numbness. I am going to S1 joint injections next week, but I feel that is putting a bandaid on the problem and not really fixing it. Not sure what my next step should be. Just frustrated with the pain. Has anyone dealt with any of the symptoms that I described?