Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Adjuction segment disease (2nd cervical fusion)

In 2005 I had multi level cervical fusion with corpectomy, C3 - C5. I started having pain and numbness again over the summer. My doctor suggested the cortisone shots. Mri was done after the 2nd shot failed. I had a appointment with a neurosurgeon last week, he said my warranty on my fusion expired that 30% of cervical cases only last 10 years. To fix this he said I need to fuse the next level. Has anyone here ever had two fusions?? Is the pain and recovery as long?? Thanks
2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
Steroid injections series x 4.

• TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 12/16/2014 - 12:31 AM
    I'm new here and don't know a whole lot of nothing, but...my doc did say that most cervical fusion cases will need another down the road, mostly within 5-10 years. I just had C3-6 done, and seeing my preop MRI with a bulge at C6/7, I fully expect that to need fusion down the road. I was told that the surrounding joints have to compensate for the fused joint, and tend to wear faster.

So I can comment that your need is not a surprise, hopefully others will chime in on the recovery, etc. Good luck!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty depressed about this. I was told 9 years ago it was possible but I had 3 level fused already. I'm just not ready for this again. But the numbness is getting stronger and lasting longer. Happy holidays!!
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.