Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure what is happening with my back. Help?

olaffertyoolafferty Posts: 1
edited 12/14/2014 - 4:48 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am a 22 year old female. Last Thursday my back started to hurt. It was just a little discomfort that I didn't think too much about. Thought it might have been a pulled muscle although I hadn't done anything that would have caused it. I was at work, and I have a desk job. But on Friday morning when I woke it was worse than ever. The pain, which is a sharp pain, is located on the right side of my back, below the shoulder blade by an inch or two, and is almost on my side. The pain is constant, but worsens if I try to bend forward to rotate my shoulders forward. It's been four days now with no relief. I just want to know what you all think might be the reasoning for this out of nowhere, unbearable pain. I'm not sure if the pain area is getting larger or not. Sometimes my shoulder blade hurts too, but I think that might have more to do with the weird positions I have to lay in for some relief. I can't stay in the some spot for too long either. It almost feels like I need to 'pop' my back, if that makes sense. And it almost feels like there's something in there that isn't right.
I've been to a thousand google offered sites, but none of them had exactly what this is.
Please Help.

Welcome to Spine-Health

It would be very helpful if you could provide us with more details. Here are some questions that you
should answer:

• - When did this first start?
    - Was it the result of an accident or trauma?
    - What doctors have you seen?
    - What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones?
    - What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results
    - What medications are you currently using?
    - Has surgery been discussed as an option?
    - What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?

Providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
of your situation and make it easier to respond.

Please take a look at our forum rules: Forum Rules

--- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator : 12/14/14 22:41

Katie =)

• Pain in the upper back that is sudden onset and worsening over a couple of days could be a bulging or herniated disc in the cervical region (upper spine or neck) be especially concerned if you start getting pain down one arm (sciatica) this could indicate the disc is pressing on a nerve. You should seek a doctor oppinion and possibly a MRI. It could just as easily be a muscle strain or pull but better be safe than sorry. A doctor will be able to provide pain relief, anti inflammation tablets or mucsle.relaxers depending on the outcome..good luck.
  • If you never had an accident I am thinking this is caused by sitting too much at your desk job. There are two muscles that attach below your shoulder blades: latissimus dorsi and quadratus lumborum. You can start stretching these muscles first before you see a physical therapist. Muscle knots in latissimus dorsi are under the armpit just below the attachment of the shoulder blade to the armpit. Quadratus lumborum is our low back muscles, mine were hard like cinder block, and it attaches from the shoulder blade to the hip. I used to have knots all along the muscles from the shoulder blades and at the hip. What you also need to do is full body stretching. Especially your psoas muscles because it will cause low back pain too. This muscle also attached to the spine. Anyway, lat dorsi can get irritated just by keeping our arms elevated 8 hours a day at work. Same as the QL muscles just by elevating your arms at work and just sitting too long. You can try pinching that attachment on your shoulder blade with your fingers and see if it hurts, if it does, it just need massage and stretching. Try a lacrosse ball or tennis ball (if lacross ball is too painful) and roll along your back and find and release your muscle knots. Try to adjust your ergonomics, make sure you put your forearms at elbow level. I have gone to spine doctors, physical therapists. All they can do is to give you 1 hour of their PT time, they cant fix your issues. You need to evaluate yoir lifestyle and think how it can lead to your current pain. So full body stretching to scan which muscles you are tight, evaluate lifestyles, work ergonomics and No Stress and No anxiety you will be okay. let me know how it goes.
  • PedroDiazPPedroDiaz Posts: 3
    edited 01/03/2015 - 5:20 AM

I have more or less the same symptoms, after many doctors one told me to get an MRI. I have C6-C7 hernaited disk. This causes me tingling between chest wall and shoulder blade, neck pain, sharp pain when deep breathing, snapping scapula, numbness, etc.

Doctor told me to go to PT. I haven't started yet.