Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Operation or Not????

angel1aangel1 Posts: 3
edited 12/15/2014 - 1:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I'm new to this forum and would value some advise please. I have had 2 Microdisectomies, 1 in April 2012, a 2nd in May 2013 and due another one this Saturday. The first was a Cauda Equina emergency on L5 S1 after being in horrendous pain for 4 months and begging for an MRI when I eventually got one I was told I would be going for an emergency operation the following morning. The op went well and I was good for another year but then started to experience the back, left buttox and left leg pain again. My consultant tried a nerve block but this only worked for a few hours so I was admitted 2 days later for another Microdisectomy as the disc had prolapsed. This one was good until a few weeks ago when I started to experience the same pain again, had an MRI which showed some bulging (all at the same place) but was told as long as the pain does not increase it is fine. The pain has increased and spread again and had another MRI last week which showed more bulging. My Consultant offered me the injection (but said it probably wouldn't work) and another Microdisectomy which I'm due to have this weekend.

Now my dilemma …. My Consultant told me last year that if it happened again I would have to have fusion (which I don't want anyway) but now he's saying that another Microdisectomy should sort the problem out. I have read up a lot about this and it seems that a 3rd Microdisectomy is not recommended!! Aside from that the pain has diminished in the last few days and now I don't know whether I should go ahead with the op or wait!! I was quite ok until a few weeks ago when suddenly I experienced spasms in my back which crippled me until the Oxycodene kicked in and I had a couple of these out of the blue in the last few weeks. Should I cancel the op or go ahead?? I'm very confused as to what I should do. Any advise appreciated.


  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 12/15/2014 - 2:00 AM
    Nobody on the forum can advise you on whether to undergo surgery or not, it has to be a personal choice based on what your surgeon advises and what you feel is right.
    Members will give you support while making this decision but it will be based on their personal experiences only

    Welcome Message

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am in the same situation, only my surgeon is telling me I need to get the fusion done Now, the thing is the pain has subsided,and I am reading some nightmares on here about recovery from the fusions. It's a tough choice, I wish you the best.
Sign In or Register to comment.