Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Old" new member.

GogoBgGGogoBg Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,
I guess it's intro time on the new site.I am still using the name from the old site.
Been dealing with back pain for about 10 years on and off.Last year I had enough after my L4/5 herniated very badly.It happened exactly on my 37th birthday.Couldn't think of a better gift...I saw a NS in the hospital and decided to have a Micro-D.It happened on 12/22/07.Went home the next day Recovery started really well until 1/18/08 when the evil pain came back w/o an apparent reason.Long story short...After 3 hospitalizations,9 or 10 MRI's,a bone biopsy,numerous blood tests I was diagnosed with Osteomyelitis.My disc and 2 adjacent vertebrae were infected.Only nobody new what caused the infection.All tests were negative.It was only seen on MRI.
So,they put me on IV Vanco and oral Cipro.I stayed in the hosp for 8 days;they inserted a PICC Line in my arm and kicked me out with 5 more weeks of antibiotics.I had a nurse coming to see me once a week and draw some blood for testing.After 4 wks I got a call from ID doc's ofiice.They told me to stop the Vanco b/c it did nothing but wiped my immune system..I said"Ni ce!!!What now?"Went to see doc,and he prescribed an antifungal med.In 2 wks,exactly 3 months after the pain came back,I started to show some slow progress.For 3 months I was nailed to my bed in non-stop pain.At best,I would spend about 1 hour/day out of bed.
Last week I finally started outpatient PT.It is slow and painful,but I see results,and the light at the end is getting brighter.A month ago it would have hurt me a lot to type such a long post.
It's very nice to see all the "old" newbies.To the real new members:Welcome all to a wonderful place!!!!

Cheers,G. 8)

• :) hi and welcome to the new forum! we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am very happy to see you are getting results from your PT. slowly but surely you will improve even more! good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny

Now I feel like a big wuss!

You are so young! (A whole three days younger then me!).
  • Hi. Did they determine the bacteria that was involved? Our son developed bacteria/infection on his spinal hardware three years post op due to rotation and a crossbar trying to poke out his back. The two bacteria he has are relatively slow growing....Coagulase Negative Staff and Propionibacterium acnes. We know that the bacterias are covering all the hardware and has now broken past the antibiotics he had been on for two years. The first episode of infection was dealt with surgically and the crossbar removed...unfortunately removing all the remaining hardware is not an option anymore due to severe restrictive lung disease.

He has now had another site with a sinus tract/fistuala lower down on his back around L-2 and L-3.

We know that there is a good chance with all the hardware in there that via the screws and the one rod especially...the left one..being almost toally embedded that the infection has spread into bone. The really hard part has been pain issues. He has a high pain tolerance but more and more he's become more uncomfortable and he has progressed to having a pain patch with oral drops for break through pain. It sounds weird but being able to read from someone that can express how it feels is nice...our son has severe cerebral palsy and can't talk. We just have to read him so to speak. I've read on line about osteomyelitis and got the impression it could be painful but this is the first time I have been able to hear from someone who has it and can say how it feels.

How did you do on the antibiotics? He was on the IV Vanco in the hospital and they thought he would have to go home on it. Then they found he could be on the Cipro...that lasted at home a few days. Non stop vomiting and he's at risk for aspiration so they stopped that and he did 6 months of Bactrim and Amoxicillan ...that was fun...had to fit in the Lactobacillus on a daily basis just to keep his bowels somewhat under control. He then went to Doxycycline for 18 months before the bacteria managed to get past the hardware. I hope this does the trick for you and it's gotten rid of. Thanks for posting and sharing your experience in this...helps me realize what our son may be going through....he's now on a patch for the pain and seems like it helps a lot.