Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post microdiscetomy week 5 leg pain

Dee89DDee89 Posts: 4
edited 12/16/2014 - 3:19 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and firstly I'd like to thank everyone on here for posting your experiences you have made my decision and recovery from microdiscetomy a lot more smoother than what it could have been.
I had excruciating pain for two and a half weeks before my micro which was on the 11th of November.. After two weeks of only being able to lie down I manged to hobble along yo get a MRI the results where sent to my neurosurgeon who contacted me a day later and scheduled my micro for two days later. I have two buldging discs - a herniated disc that had broken off and etched itself in my nerve. I didn't want an operation however I knew deep down something was wrong. Once I woke up in recovery my pain was completely gone. I still had little feeling to my two little right toes and at the back of the calf but that didn't worry me. My recovery progress was amazing and I was walking and sitting and the rest quite freely but of course I was always cautious which would make my movements slower. It's now week 5 I have more feeling back in my toes and behind my calf however the last couple days I have had siatica pain and a little leg weakness.. It's no where near as bad as pre op but I'm concerned of reherniation. My lower back seems to be quite tight, I'm not sure if this is because of constant lying down for two days because I had a lot is assignments to catch up on? Has anyone else experiencing this? And how do you know you have herniated again? I hadn't taken any pain medication not even panadol from the moment I left the hospital however today I took a burfen and two panadols and it Seems to help somewhat

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Yes, I've experienced some of what you've described too, particularly the bit about leg weakness. Was walking around the other day and my left leg just felt weak, weaker than the previous week. Oops, tongue twister there. It can be so frustrating. But when I looked back, maybe I pushed myself too hard with brisk walking the day before. I suspect the nerves don't heal in a linear fashion. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Se7enw00d thanks for your reply!! How are you feeling now? Is your weakness in your leg starting to go away a little? I'm better today not the best I've been post op but not crying or agitating just the weakness is still there a little maybe I'm expecting to much but weeks 1-4 I was walking heaps maybe like you I over did it!!
    Do you get hip pain at all? Hopefully you have a speedy recovery
  • Hey how are you feeling now? I too am concerned about hurniating the disc again! I guess you would only know by MRI / CT. Hope u r improving each day.
  • Well.... I've been on the gait recovery train for 6 months now. I was severely herniated and am recovering slowly.
    I honestly don't care how long it takes so long as there's improvement. Nerves will take a very long time of which there are no guarantees. Keep listening to your body and ask your surgeon about reherniation.
  • Well.... I've been on the gait recovery train for 6 months now. I was severely herniated and am recovering slowly.
    I honestly don't care how long it takes so long as there's improvement. Nerves will take a very long time of which there are no guarantees. Keep listening to your body and ask your surgeon about reherniation.
  • Hi Dee89, my legs are definitely feeling stronger now that I'm more than 6 weeks post surgery, as I'm sure yours are too. Now I'm having about 1 day out of 4 where there might be a little bit of pain here or there. Most popular spots are at the hip, buttocks or lower back and again, when I've done too much or rested too little. Personally, I push myself just a tiny little bit more when I'm feeling good, just to know where my limits are, but that's just me.

The only thing that hasn't changed has been the same old numbness on top of my feet since I woke up from surgery, so I don't think I've reherniated.
  • Hey guys thanks all for your replies! Sorry I hadn't replied earlier. I had my second microdiscectomy three weeks ago today so Iv been trying to recover. I feel this time around I think better but to be honest I have forgotten as my feelings and days have all turned into one.. It's been a long time. I don't want to say much as I don't want to jinx myself however for my fellow micro friends having doubts I shall share a little! I definitely knew something was wrong and by 4 days had past from my first post I was in emergency screaming the place down even though I had seen my surgeon two days prior for my post op appointment so I say like spiny_malo listen to your body, it is normal to get niggly pains and twitches, spasms (i think). My first two weeks after surgery on both occasions have been brilliant that sometimes I forget I have had an operation. It comes to the third week and I start getting a little spasms or aches here and there. I read some postop info and it does say you will experience this anywhere from 2-3weeks post op, however we are all different. I'm heading onto my fourth week one I hope is better than the last fourth! I hope you are all recovering well and thanks again