Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain.....

Hi-

I am back-- sorry for the time I was away, life got busy! We welcomed a baby boy on September 22, Liam Wesley, and that is super exciting. A little history-- I had a MIS TLIF at L5/S1 due to a pars defect, sciatic nerve infringement, severe DDD and spinal stenosis on May 1, 2013 and recovered well from it. I have some residual pain down the back of my left leg as my nerve was damaged pretty bad, to be expected. However, recently... I've been experiencing some new pain, this time on the right side, starting in my buttock and going down the side of my leg (outside) and to my toes. It is a constant, dull ache and weakness and makes me wonder if I've tweaked something or if another level went bad. I always carry Liam on the left side and I do things with him in my arms like laundry and stuff.... maybe that's it. I'm debating on calling my neurosurgeon in hopes it will just get better.... any input is welcome! :(
Olivia Douglass
MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
advertisement

Comments

• you are most likely pushing your right hip out to counter balance yourself and the baby. Congratuations on the baby !
    Still, it is always wise to consult with your doctor to make sure that there is nothing else going on, and try to stand straight, instead of the exaggerated hip extension to the right......you may find that after giving birth that a return to some core strengthening might help, once you have seen your doctor and been cleared to do it.
  • And as hard as it is try not to carry your baby on your hip!! Says me, who I am sure that is the main reason for my back issues! Try to carry bub centrally to your body.Hope all is well for you!
  • Thank you both! I went ahead and made an appointment with my neurosurgeon in Feb since the pain is radiating down my right leg and nothing I am doing is helping. Liam is only 3 months old and 12 lbs so he isn't able to sit on my hip... I usually just carry him with my left side of my body, like in the front but on the left. I started to wear my brace a little bit but it isn't really helping either. The pain and numbness in my right leg and lower back/buttock is the same pain that I had on the left side before my fusion! :(
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • My surgeon told me to take it easy and gave me pain meds. They ordered xrays and said that everything was okay. The pain went away like 2 months after I had seen him. Now it is Spring and it is back.... been here for about 2 weeks. IDK what to do? I don't know if I should call and see if he wants an MRI or what?! Any ideas? will I have flare ups like this ALL the time?
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
advertisement