Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi again!

virginiamomvvirginiamom Posts: 7
edited 02/29/2016 - 6:09 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 12/16/2014 - 9:13 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    I am claustrophobic too. Ask your doctor to prescribe you a mild sedative. My doctor gave me an Atavan & I took it an hour before MRI. It really helps you to relax. An X-ray isn't going to show what all is going on in your neck.

• OT mamaOOT mama Posts: 63
    edited 12/17/2014 - 7:55 PM
    MRI's can also be done using IV sedation. Due to increased pain when I am motionless and flat on my back for more than a few minutes, as well as major austrophobia, this is the only way I can make it through an entire MRI scan. It is a very pleasant way to get through a very negative experience for me.
  • please get the MRI - which like everyone said can be made easier with a sedative.
    I was experiencing numbness 2 months ago (and yes it totally took over my life! i could hardly write, and my entire arm felt like dead weight) and an MRI uncovered a severe subluxation - 2 of my vertebrae were off and my entire spinal chord was pinched. I would be surprised if this was your case since the numbness seems localized, but its good that you are taking it seriously. If the numbness spreads further, speak up. Good luck!
    Noa Orr
  • See a Neurologist and have a Nerve Conductivity Test to confirm a pinched nerve. Although a MRI will show a herniation, it won't show the nerve that is trapped. My MRI showed three herniations but I only had a single level fusion today that took away my pain because the Neuro told the Surgeon which disc to fuse.
    Discectomy L5/S1 2007
    ACDF C6/7 2014
  • I have had 3 anterior cervical fusions.
    My ortho prescribed a myelogram for better views of the nerves. Also had a ct scan while the dye was still in my neck.
    Showed nerve damagsd at C4-C5. Surgery in 11 days. I hope you find some relief soon.
  • Thank you for your comments!! I'm not familiar with a myelogram. Good luck with your surgery!!! I hope it brings you much pain relief!!
  • I had the same issue and an MRI only showed minor bulging in three discs (C3/4, C5/6 and C6/7). None of those bulges showed any major impingement on a nerve. It wasn't until I had a nerve conductivity test that showed that my C7 nerve was trapped. Yesterday, I had a fusion on my C6/7 and when I woke up from surgery, my pain in the arm was gone. Awesome! I definitely recommend that you see a Neurologist and ask them to check for any trapped nerves. You will eventually need to get an MRI if you indeed have a trapped nerve and need surgery. Good luck!
    Discectomy L5/S1 2007
    ACDF C6/7 2014
  • virginiamomvvirginiamom Posts: 7
    edited 02/29/2016 - 6:07 PM
    what ya looking at?
  • shouston7sshouston7 SOUTH CAROLINAPosts: 33
    Just be careful and do not lift more than a couple pounds. Don't do anything that requires a lot of exertion on your neck. It is scary when you hear that, research as much as you can and it will help you get fear under control. 7 years ago I had the cervical fusion at c3-4 c5-6 and c6-7, 2 of my bulging disc were pressed into the spinal cord. In my case and we all are different, I never really understood if neck problems were from a car wreck back in my teens or just have bad spine. Was in a wreck when I was 16 had the surgery when I was 47 years old.
    I was told to be really careful with my neck before the surgery, better to be over cautious than to get hurt worse.
    I understand about the pain, I couldn't turn my head very well, both my arms and hands hurt before the surgery, at night it felt like they were swollen really bad. UGH....They would be on fire one minute and numb the next.
    Hope you feel better soon and that you can talk with your doctors and get some answers on how to get a plan going on treatment!
    Hope your holiday's will bring you some cheer! Hang in there and try not to worry! Will keep you in my prayers! :)
    S. Houston
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Your current diagnostics came back indicating a pinched nerve. That may sound simple, but they can be so very painful and take a while to heal. The good part is that they do heal and you can get back to 'new'

The pain can be very intense, probably classified more as acute than chronic pain. Most positions do not give you any comfort.
    Pain medications can help, but just so much.

Besides what your doctor is doing already, they may be need for some physical therapy, which can really help.

For the MRI, your one doctor (at least that is what I am reading) didnt go for one, yet your PCP is writing you a script. In today's insurance heavy approvals, it is very difficult for doctors to justify tests such as a MRI. But if your PCP has the proper rationale and justifications to your insurance company, then that is good. The days of "Oh lets just get a MRI are over"

Remember 4 weeks is not a long period of time. I know folks that it took 3 months to heal after a pinched nerve.

Dont get yourself riled up thinking the worse, I large herniation, a disc problem, etc I am not saying that that could not be the problem, but no one here is capable of telling you one way or the other. The formal diagnosis is with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • virginiamomvvirginiamom Posts: 7
    edited 02/29/2016 - 6:11 PM
  • virginiamom said:
    Hi, I'm posting this in the neck pain part because my ortho doctor says I have a pinched nerve at c5/c6 (based on an X-ray only) but in fact all the pain is in my left shoulder and down my arm, which has lost all its strength! This started over 4 weeks ago (just woke up with it) and it has only gotten worse! The pain is overwhelming and the focus of my life! It affects everything I do! I always feel it no matter what I'm doing or what position I'm in. It never goes away. I took two prednisone packs but they did absolutely nothing and advil doesn't help (not even taking 4 at a time). The only thing that helps is taking Tramadol (50 mg) twice a day but I really dislike doing it. I just want it to get better! My doctor is so casual, like it's no big deal. I was able to get a prescription for an MRI from my primary doctor but I wimped out! It was an "open" mri where they had to put your head in a clamp and put something over your face. I'm seriously claustrophobic. That was never happening! I feel like this is just never going to get better! I tried doing some exercises I learned online but that made it worse! I have a PT appt. but couldn't get one for another 3 weeks. I would be so grateful for any advice!! I feel like my life will never be the same! :( Everyone I know says their pinched nerve was better within days. I can't figure out what's wrong with me. Thank you so much for anything you can share with me!!!

I have similar problem, try to follow some tips in YouTube about this. Precisely first apply ice cubes for 10 mins then after 10 mins break apply hot towel by keeping them in a micro owven will help you a lot.
  • Seeing a neurosurgeon doesn't automatically mean surgery. He will almost certainly advise conservative measures first, i.e., physical therapy, possibly epidural injections. Do keep your appointment, so that it will ease your anxiety of paralysis. From what I understand (and I am certainly not an MD!) paralysis from a herniated disc is rare and takes a long time to reach that point.