Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Conditions worse after cervical surgery - scared and need advice!

ScottKBSScottKB Posts: 10
edited 12/17/2014 - 11:05 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello. First time poster. This is an awesome site for people like me. I need some advice.

I am a 54 years old and 40 year type1 diabetic (no complications). I had a disc herniation 6 years ago at C6/C7 and the resulting disc fusion surgery was very successful. The pain and numbness I had in my right arm was almost immediately relived. Awesome!

About 2.5 years ago I started having walking balance type issues. Just a lack of confidence in my gait. My thyroid and other things were checked and all was OK. About 6 months later, I started getting extremely cold burning spots (softball size) in the same spot on my right arm/elbow forearm and right calf. The gait issues came and went during this time but are very persistent now. The doctor sent me to a neurologist who did physical therapy and ultimately an MRI (brain and spine with dye) which revealed another herniation with pressure on the spine from the disc at C5/C6. She stated that there was slight changes in the brain but didn't think it was MS but possibly related to extreme sugar lows experienced as a long term diabetic. In the mean time, a warm spot developed on my left calf and numb/warm spot on my left back shoulder. All are still present today.

I ended up getting surgery done with an artificial disc about three months back (successful according to surgeon and xrays) but my symptoms have not reduced. In fact, they are worse now. And, the cold spots and tingling are popping up briefly in new places every now and are still prevalent in the places mentioned above. Furthermore, I now have some leg and arm pain with some occasional twitching.

I expected the same results but have gotten worse. I am now have so much anxiety and wondering if the cervical issue was not the real problem. Perhaps I have something like MS or ALS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,892

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I thought I would provide an update on my situation.

Because my symptoms were persisting and getting worse, especially the shoulder blade numbness/pain with fasciculation's in the left arm. I decided to return to the neurologist. She performed another MRI and Cat Scan with dye which indicated that the C5/C6 artificial disc was placed correctly. She performed some basic neuro tests again; strength, reflex, walking, toe standing, Babinski, etc., and ultimately stated that I have slightly elevated reflex on the right knee (with no reverberations), but other than that, everything seemed OK. She thinks that I am still recovering from surgery and that my symptoms are normal for someone diagnosed with Cervical Spondylitis w/Myelopathy.

As stated many times in these forums, you must trust your doctors. Although I have made myself a wreck with my symptoms, I am going to try and trust that advice.