Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle spasms due to spinal stenosis

DebyjpDDebyjp Posts: 1
edited 12/17/2014 - 7:09 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, I'm Debbie and new to this forum but am very excited to have people to talk to that are suffering like me. A little background: I have had 3 back surgeries, 2 laminectomies , one Pedicles screws and fusion due to a fall in a Resturant. I also have severe osteoarthritis and in the last 6 months have had a total knee replacement and last week a scope and meniscus repair done on the left one. Needless to say I gave chronic pain and do see a pain management dr.
Now for my question, I for years have suffered from these horrible , horrible muscle spasms in my legs and upper thighs. These are not charley horses like most people assume. I appreciate all their suggestions about potassium( my levels are fine) pickle juice, etc . Yesterday when I first found spine health I saw someone saying they have spinal stenosis like I was diagnosed with along with two herniated discs on my last MRI. I would love feedback from anyone who suffers with these excruciating muscle spasms . Thank you all so much!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Debbie. I too have this and haven't found anyone else that has these as bad as I do and I too also get the usual answers like magnesium and potassium and things which don't help me either. I have no help to offer you but wanted to let you know that you aren't alone with it. If you find some help let me know and I'll do the same. I was told that I had to "live with it." I can't do anything without these awful spasms. I don't do anything that isn't required to do any more and even can't make it through a shower without being crumpled on the floor of the tub every time. Mine last sometimes up to an hour. How about you?
  • I agree the spasms are so very bad! I don't know what to do for them. I get them anywhere for the top of my thigh down to my toes and most of them last 1/2 hour although there has been some that go on for up to 50 minutes. I have tried everything too. I wish Quinine hadn't been banned here! I can't take muscle relaxers for the spasms. I have no answers for you but I can have empathy for you!
  • MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 180
    I've had these leg spasms for years. I would be using my laptop with my cat snuggled up against my leg when the spasms in my legs would cause my computer to bounce and frighten my cat off of the couch.
    I used to try to drive and it would get very scary when my right leg would begin to spasm while I was stopped at a traffic light.
    I haven't driven for nearly two years now, and I truly miss my independence.
    I was not able to find a reason for these spasms or for the constantly contracted calf muscles (hurts more than labor contractions) until now. I've been told that I had MS, but that was ruled out. Then Parkinson's, spinocerebellar ataxia, Lupus and spastic paraplegia have been suggested and ruled out.
    I'm amazed that no doctor thought to check my spine for nearly eight years!
This discussion has been closed.