Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

From Lower Back Pain to Sciatica To Numbness

maximus88mmaximus88 Posts: 3
Dear all,

I'm a 26 year old male.

I started having the common cold/flu at around december 10,2014 (I currently have it as of now but it seems to be at the end of its course).

While having the common cold/flu on the morning of december 15,2014 I started to develope a quite severe lower back pain and I also had pain shooting up on both of my legs.It would really hurt whenever I coughed on that day.I was not able to sleep whatsoever and had to lie down facing on my LEFT side.

On december 16,2014 the pain on my lower back went away,but to date that was the worst day because I had a sciatica attack,I was not able to stand straight the whole day and I was basically immobile and the sciatic nerve pain was only manifesting on my right leg (severe stabbing pain behind the thigh).I had to sleep on my LEFT side again (still had the flu).

On december 17,2014 things seemed to have greatly improved,my sciatica nerve pain on my right leg has dissapeared,I am able to stand almost normally again and walk (but not run).But a new problem has arised,on the LEFT side of my buttocks and on my genital area,numbness has taken over! I am unable to feel my penis and buttocks (left side) and very mild on my LEFT leg til now.I am able to stand and walk without any lower back or leg pain.

What could have caused this numbness? I would not want to think that this could be an indication of early CES (Cauda Equina Syndrome).

Could've this numbness developed because I was sleeping on my LEFT side the previous nights? What could have caused all of this symptoms to have appeared? Is it because of the flu virus? My main concern as of now is this numbness.

I had a CT scan done on november 29,2014 because of constipation issues after a course of meds. The only significant findings were on my spine; L4-L5 has a disk bulge (not hernia),and also noted was that there's a POSSIBLE (no definite answer) disk protrusion on L5-S1.

I am currently able to walk and stand,my only problem now is this numbness in my genital and buttocks (left side).

No sciatic or lower back pain as of now,although my back is a bit stiff.
Is it because of the flu virus which triggered all of this happen? What caused the numbness?

It's already december 18 over here,and I haven't slept as of yet.

It is quite disturbing.

• Mr.SciaticaMMr.Sciatica Posts: 3
    edited 12/17/2014 - 3:24 PM
    Well I doubt the flu had anything to do with it(my opinion) . U probably just twisted or picked up something the wrong way and jacked your back up(disk). But I sooo know what u mean bout the cough thing hurting your back or leg bcuz when I caugh my right leg n back hurt since my whole body jumps. :\ . Since I got a bulged disk and have sciatica from my lowr back and my whole right leg. But the good thing I can tell u that atleast your feeling some kinda healing process going on.
    and on a low key level,I feel u bout the numbness towards u groin, cuz on my bad days, sex is soo out of the question since I have real bad pain that it doesn't let me perform the way I want....... REAL LAME!!!! but keep ur head up bro n go see your doc and see what methods u can do to recover. I feel your pain bro,cuz I'm 23 :\
  • By now,the numbness on my buttocks (left side) and penis (more on the left side) is still persisting.I do not not have lower back pain anymore,but whenever I walk I could feel leg pain building up.On my left leg,it feels like a warm,tingling sensation (on the numb buttock) I have done an an MRI yesterday night,the initial results only showed a mild bulge at the L4-L5 & L5-S1 area (mild). What is driving me crazy is this numbess!

What could this really be?

Prudenal nerve?
    Muscle spasm?

Please anyone!
  • With new symptoms arising and not resolving, you need to consult with your doctor and explain all of the symptoms you are having. Coughing can contribute to a herniation because of the sudden contraction of the muscles and forceful coughing has been known to cause a disc that is compromised to herniate. The ONLY way to know for sure what is going on is to see your doctor for examination and follow any recommendations he makes for you regarding follow up and imaging.
  • I will be doing a follow up with a neurologist.

In the meantime,the significant initial results of the MRI scan done yesterday night did not show anything major at all (No Cauda Equina Syndrome).

I'm still able to have "normal" bowel and bladder movements so far (only hard passing urine and bowel).

The worst numbness is on the my left buttock.

Before the numbness,I was sleeping mostly on my left side due to severe sciatica leg pain (right leg).

So in my personal opinion,this could be prudenal nerve issues.

And I was stuck in severe traffic for hours coming from a hospital visit (around 4 hours).

I do not have lower back pain whatsoever. My back is "fine".

Reading online just made me totally paranoid (reading CES).

This is 3rd day of my numbness.
  • Hi all I am a 18 yr old male and I just had strep that turned into bronchitis and in the meantime I contracted the flu while I had the flu I had the same sort of experiences except I couldn't feel my hands and now I just have partial feeling over everything really and I feel like i'm moving in slow motion! just really odd! but your not the only one!