Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How much pain from Scoliosis Justifies Surgery?

msknapp84mmsknapp84 Posts: 3
edited 12/17/2014 - 6:23 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
note: I tried posting this in the scoliosis forum twice, it keeps saying access denied for some reason. Forgive me if this is a dupe.

I read here that for adults with scoliosis, "only the patients with the most severe symptoms and marked activity limitations should consider surgery."

So I guess I'm looking for clarification on where that line is. Let me tell you about my condition first, and then about my pain.

I'm a 30 year old male with a 55 degree thoracic curve, and 45 degree lumbar curve (I did the math once and found that this degree happens in less than 1 out of 10000 men, lucky me). Ten years ago my thoracic curve was 45 degrees, so it certainly seems to me that it's advancing one degree per year. My doctor said the odds of this not progressing are very low. I have read that surgery is generally recommended for people with degrees over 50, since they usually progress. Despite that, one doctor discouraged from seeking surgery because the pain was not so bad.

So let me tell you about my pain. Most of the time it's tolerable at a 2 or 3 out of 10, but I believe that is due to my sedentary lifestyle. At work I just sit at a desk and lean back because it's less painful. I don't think I could sit upright/vertical for 8 hours. However, I have found that after standing for about five hours, the pain reaches a 6 out of 10, and I eventually have to stop whatever I'm doing to lie down.

So here is what I'm asking:

How much pain from scoliosis would justify seeking surgery?

For people who had the scoliosis surgery due to the pain, how much chronic pain did you have on a scale from 0 to 10?

Do you think that not being able to stand/work for > 5 hours due to pain constitutes "marked activity limitations"?
Michael Knapp

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    that only your doctor can answer.
    There are no medical professionals on these forums, so anything you will read is based on personal experiences only.

To get the formal word on when/if surgery in your situation is warranted, discuss this in detail with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com