Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help about weird pain

andrewlassaaandrewlassa Posts: 2
edited 12/18/2014 - 8:31 PM in Lower Back Pain
I'm 18. Late August I felt a sudden pain in my lumbar spine lasting no more than 2 seconds. Since then, I've had this intermittent pain that lasts pretty much a second at a time, from 5 to 15 times a day more or less. It seems to be between the first and second lumbar vertebrae, but sometimes it kinda radiates to the proximities. Several times it hurt when I moved a certain way, but I'm never able to reproduce the pain by moving the same way again soon after. The very first time it hurt, I somewhat felt a numbness on the left leg, and a couple of times I felt brief pain on the left buttock bone (or hip). There were times when it seemed to be getting better. It doesn't exactly seem to be getting worse, however. (There were two occasions these last months when it's possible I worsened everything by certain physical exercises, but I'm not sure.)

I have mild scoliosis; almost sure it's not related. Also, a few weeks before I felt the pain I was doing crunches and I think I may have pushed myself too much. It may be related or not. I've never ever had any back pain prior to that first time in August.

I'm going to see a doctor but I don't have a date yet. In the meantime this is very upsetting. 100% of my discomfort regarding this is psychological, since it's not a debilitating or even lasting pain. I'm worried. It's been months, so it's chronic, right? But at the same time, it has a very weird pattern. Reading on back problems doesn't help much, because nothing fits completely. I was wondering if maybe someone has or had something similar or if any of this rings a bell to someone.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • might cause it to twitch a bit.........since it isn't worsening, and it isn't constant, it is not considered "chronic". Almost the entire population will have sporadic episodes of back related pain and almost all of it disappears as suddenly as it appeared or resolves on it's own with no other care involved other than rest or ice....
    Try not to worry , although we understand it is hard. If you find things that aggravate the pain, then avoid doing them. See your doctor for reasurrance.
  • Thanks for your input sandi!