Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help Diagnosing my low back pain?

nicekicksnnicekicks Posts: 1
edited 12/18/2014 - 7:29 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone, my name is Matthew. I'm looking for some help/advice regarding the back pain I've been experiencing for the past few months now. I might as well give a little back story for you guys since this isn't the first time I've experienced back pain. When I was a senior in high school I remember feeling a similar pain in my low back/buttock/thigh area. I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but at the time I was becoming very active. I had started running on the treadmill everyday, and even joined the rugby team. We hadn't even started tackling yet so i know i hadn't injured it like that. I just remember walking home after a practice in complete and utter agony, I could barely walk. My mom was really concerned so we went and saw my family doctor. I had severely decreased reflex in my left leg, i couldn't get my straight leg past 40 degrees without intense nerve pain. I guess he assumed it was a disc problem because he sent me to get an MRI. By the time my appointment came to get my scan I was already feeling 90% better. My doctor got the results and basically told me i was fine. He didn't say much, which was a big surprise to me at the time. I was feeling almost back to normal though, so that was good enough for me! Oh to be young :) Since then I have been pretty much pain free, other than a dull pain I would sometime get deep in my glute. Obviously though, the pain came back and I've managed to re hurt it. I wish i could go six months back, Knowing what I know now. I feel like I could have avoided re-injuring myself if I just spent the time to educate myself on proper posture, core strengthening, etc. I really don't know how i hurt it this time, But the pain came back. It was in the beginning of summer, and at first it wasn't bad. It started as a nagging pain in my left buttock, id say about a 3-10 on the pain scale. It would come and go and was more of a nuisance than anything. Then it started to get bad. I was playing basketball and came down hard from a dunk, the pain was immediate. Just like grade 12 again. Now two months later and im feeling a lot better, but the pain is persistent and nagging. If i lay flat on my back and try a straight leg raise, I can get to about 30-40 degrees before the pain becomes too much. My hamstrings are TIGHT to say the least. I don't get pain in my thigh or calf, but i can feel it in my left buttock A LOT. I kind of figured I have some sort of disc herniation, though extension exercises do NOT feel good. If i stand straight up and extend backwards, or do a McKenzie pose, the pain is great. It feels like something in my low back is restricting me from bending backwards, its hard to explain. The internet is telling me to stop all flexion based movement (bending forward). Though I get more relief bending forward than back :/ I really have no clue whats going on down there and am contemplating another MRI/X-ray. I kinda wanted to reach out to you guys and see what you had to say first though. I've been doing lots of stretching and foam rolling, with the help of Kelly Starret's book which has greatly helped me. I just want to get back to my self and live a normal life without this horrible restriction. Went and played basketball for the first time in two and half months yesterday, I feel a bit sore but no better or worse :/ I also have constant pain when lying in bed for some reason. I can get some relief from lying on my side with a pillow in between my legs, but that will only last for like 30 minutes. I'm constantly rolling around looking for a comfortable spot. It's usually a dull ache in my back and buttock. My most pain free position is standing and sitting. I don't feel too much pain when i'm standing straight with good posture. Sitting feels good, but i can sometimes feel the pain a little. Anyways, sorry for the long post but i just wanted to get my thoughts down. I really appreciate any replies and thanks for taking the time to read this if you did. I'm not the best writer so I apologize for any grammatical errors. I hope you all are having a good Christmas season!
advertisement

Comments