Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Alternative Treatments
Many people have had good success with acupuncture treatments
Here is a spot to start talking about your experiences
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• No responses... I too would like to hear anyone's experience (positive or not) with acupuncture. I have entertained the idea but for whatever reason, have yet to make the commitment (I believe you need to go 1-2 times a week for 8 weeks to see results?)

• I have had it done several times, the first time it was recomended by a PM dr who i went to see for a ESI in my neck. He had done one 3 years earlier and I felt it was time to have another one. During his exam he also dx me with carpal tunnel. Rather than do another ESI he told me to try acupuncture for both issues. It was great! I tell everyone to give it a try.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    I have had acupuncture treatments many times. In 2007 I provided had about 25 sessions, some with electrical stimulation some not. The sessions were for my lumbar, thoracic and cervical disc problems.
    I did enjoy the sessions, I felt great afterwards. But honestly the 'good' feeling did not last that long. There seemed that I needed a build up.. The first month or so, in two days the relief went away. After the third month of treatments the relief could last up to a week.
    But it never really took care of my problems completely.

There are many people who have great success with the sessions. And many times all they need is that one week of relief that can go a long way in making their overall condition much better.

It is definitely worth trying

• I've had 7 treatments, in about as many weeks. So far I've had variable results. I have never had any more than 50% reduction in my pain level, and any reduction in pain hasn't lasted any longer than 2 days.

It's a bit disappointing, but I know this kind of treatment can take some time. I'm willing to try for a while longer.
  • I started acupuncture about 3 years ago and it was awesome for me. She told me that it could take a day or so to see any results, but I saw immediate results in my calf pain. I went weekly for treatment and then did my best to relax for at least an hour afterwards. Finances and my insurance's refusal to help put an end to that after about 4 months.

I started again in February of this year and did a lot of research. My current acupuncture Dr. agrees with me that it does not help everyone, but sure as heck don't hurt. I always feel better after a treatment. While I agree it isn't a permenant fix for bone degeneration or damage, it certainly does help with the muscle pain and "lightening bolts" that my damaged nerves love to share with me - helping to cut back drastically on my meds for those things. I have had both regular and electrodes attached.

Give it a try - it won't hurt. Good luck!!!
  • I've been going 2X per week since 7/3, and it hasn't helped yet...but i only stopped running when i received my MRI results on 7/22. Now that I have stopped running, i will keep going to acupuncture see how it works out.
    Hi Pat,

I know with some people they need a number of treatments before they start feeling results.
    I know for myself, it wasnt until after the 3rd session did I start to see a difference. There was a big relief in my pain level on the day of any of my treatments. The more treatments I had the longer that relief would stay.

Some people get enough relief from the acupuncture treatments to break their pain cycle and provide longer term relief.
    I wish I could say that I was one of those, but I wasnt.

Hopefully you will start to feel some differences. Where is the treatment focused in (what area)? Is it being done with or without electrical stimulation and about how long are your sessions?
  • Well, I do have to say that my pain level is reduced from when I started acupuncture. But, my pain level has remained about the same, since the first few treatments.

I had some injections done, two to the disc, which didn't help, and one to the nerves at the facet joint, which helped a little. So I have now scheduled a nerve block at the facet joints, to see if I am a good candidate for nerve ablation (neurotomy).

What I am hoping is that my drastically reducing my pain with the nerve ablation, the acupuncture can help with the residual pain. We'll see I guess.

I haven't given up on acupuncture, I am continuing to have treatments once a week. For all I know, if I stopped going, my pain level might return to where it was before, and that would not be good. Now I have more good days than bad, before it was the other way around. Don't want to go back there.

I think it is worth a try for anyone. It may help, and if it doesn't it was still worth a try, in my mind at least.
  • My treatments are concentrated in my lower back, probably around my affected area L5-S1, along with additional needles placed in each lower buttock, the back of each knee and the side of the lower ankle. The treatments are twice weekly for 30 minutes or so. A heat lamp is placed over the area, and I take a warm soak in the bath when I get home.

There was study funded by German Public Health that indicated the effectiveness of accupuncture in treating LBP. As a caveat, the study also showed that sham accupuncture was just as effective...seems to be something about needles and our bodies natural reaction to them, I suppose, more so than the Qi pathways. The 'Why' doesn't matter to me, only the relief if it works.

Now that I stopped the activity that was aggravating it, we'll see.
  • My treatments are also concentrated around my lower back, with one in my gluteus medius (that is a really sensitive spot for me - I nearly jump off the table when he puts the needle in my right buttock), and one behind each knee and the ankle.

I've also had some treatments where he added upper back to treat the kidneys, in addition to the back ones. And this last time I had needles placed in my scalp, and he manipulated the needles while I generated the pain in my back. He said it was a new technique they learned at a conference and he wanted to try it out on me. He said it was kind of like telling the brain where the pain was located. I don't know that it worked, really, as I don't have any additional pain relief.
  • I have been going for treatments since October and I am having good luck with it. I had a real bad flare back then and couldn't move as the pain was awful. My Dr. put me on Neurontin, Percocet, and Flexeril, but I still couldn't move (he told me I will need fusion surgery). I was bed ridden for a month when a friend gave me the name of the woman I go to now (I had tried a couple others in the past with no results). She is AWESOME (She was also a Dr. in China). Since I have been going to her I got off all pain meds (just took Advil till stomach gave out). I go every week for my treatment, and she just uses a few needles around my L5-S1 area along with needles in my butt and down the back of my leg (following the sciatic nerve)and she does cupping over the L5-S1 area too. I know she cannot cure my problems and they are still there, but she has been able to keep my sciatic pain in check so far.
    I do know that the most important thing is to find a good acupuncturist. A couple ones I went to in the past made gave me no relief or made the pain worse.
  • I first had accupuncture 15+ years ago when I initially suffered a bulged disc @ L4-L5. Notice that there was "something happening", but never really did wind up being worth the $$$ I paid into it.

Last year, after my initial flare up with back pain again, I went back to an acupuncturist while living in Japan. He was incredibly intuitive, and immediately told me something "was broken", that he couldn't fix (although he could assist with some of the secondary issues). He was right, I wound up having a bad herniation at L5-S1 that was diagnosed a few weeks later. I continued to go to him up to surgery, and several months later when the resdiual radiculopathy reared it's ugly head. His approach was very holistic, using accupuncture and moxibustion to complement the accupuncture itself. He also too the time to educate me on my "whole life issue", from how I sat in the computer chair, to body positioning, to as host of other issues. His rates were incredibly affordable (~$35 US), and I really enjoyed the personalize atmostphere. While I never walked away "cured", there was always a mental sense of relief (if nothing else). Really missed that "connection".

Since returning to the US in May, I looked into several acupuncturist here, but there were so many (ironically) that it was essentially "enee meenee minee moe" in making a selection. Saw one once, but it was too far of a drive. Found another closer to me, whom I like, and is actually a former PM doctor who "crossed over" to traditional medicine. I've been to her 3 or 4 times so far, but her rates are extrememly high for me to pay "out of pocket" ($125 initial, $85 for follow ups) and I just haven't gotten the same sense of connection (or relief) out of it so far. Not sure if that's a function of my body slowly deteriorating, or if external variables are playing a part.

That said, I'm a firm believer in giving acupuncture a chance, as there is much Western medicine has to learn from non-invasive, holistic technics. Just my 2-cent's worth....

I never had treatments that close together. The doctor that was giving mine, wanted me to space it out at least 5 days.
    I had those treatments in 3 of the spinal areas (cervical, thoracic and lumbar). It helped but did nothing for my thoracic problems.
    I did stop going for acupuncture treatments because there were totally out of pocket ($95/session) and I was having
    Deep Tissue Massage Therapy , also out of pocket ($85/session)
    so I had to pick on and I stayed with Deep Tissue Massage, since that provided me more relief