Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Disc Replacement?

BlueMangoBBlueMango Posts: 1
edited 12/19/2014 - 8:57 PM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I had a discectomy 10 yrs ago. L4-L5 & L5-S1. No fusion. Sciatic pain is gone. Back pain never went away. I was told it may not at time of surgery. I did not want a fusion as I was only 37 at the time. I have been in pain management & have kept an active lifestyle but not without moderate-severe pain. I have DDD at these same 2 levels. I have had numbness on the bottom of my second toe on each foot for almost 2 years. The back pain has gotten progressively worse to the point when I'm not working I lie in bed if possible. It is preventing me from having a social life or doing many normal things. At first I thought this was a flare up & I had a series of 3 steroid shots within the last couple months. I am not getting any relief from that. I am seeing my dr mon to discuss a medial bundle branch block. Hopefully that will work. However, going forward I'm wondering about disc replacement. I know it's done for cervical discs, but I cannot find any information or anyone who knows anyone who has had it for lumbar. I believe it's being done in Europe for lumbar discs. My understanding with fusions is once you have it the level above or below becomes a problem, & you eventually have to address this. I want to be able to work & run, play tennis, etc. i do not want to be on pain meds. Any advice is welcome.