Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting microdiscectomy in 4 weeks

NanetteNNanette Posts: 2
edited 12/20/2014 - 6:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, this is my 1st post to this site although I've been a regular user of checking out the forums to look for answers and support with my current issue for months! I am a 41 yo female, 5'1", 210lbs. I'm obese and am getting microdiscectomy in 4 weeks for a herniated disc (L4/L5). I'm extremely anxious and am trying to change my diet to help lower my weight before surgery, as I can barely walk let alone exercise. Just wondering if the downtime will be longer due to my weight? I've seen A LOT of negative comments about this surgery but I've also seen a lot of positive as well. But am nervous all the same. I am in constant pain. Depressed as my quality of life is horrible. I can barely walk as I have severe leg pain from the nerve root being pinched from the herniated disc. I was told I also have a small herniation at L5/S1, but my doctor feels that is not the cause of my pain. I also have some arthritis in my spine. I've recently found I also have hypertension and have started taking a diuretic to help with that. But after much research, have found that the only 2 meds I take for pain, could be the culprit of the High BP. (Motrin and Tylenol). I am not able to tolerate narcotics as they make me nauseous, and sometimes vomit. So now I'm frightened about post surgery pain management. Any advice is welcome! Hoping I posted this in the right place! Thanks for listening!