Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness after Microdiscectomy and decompression

shez1325sshez1325 Posts: 49
edited 12/20/2014 - 7:31 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi All,
I am new to this forum but have been reading numerous posts which have helped me in my situation.

I am 1 day post op For l5/s1 Microdiscectomy and decompessIon. I have numbness in my right foot and calf which was my affected leg but I never had this degree of numbness before.

Has anyone experienced this and what has your outcome been?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to Contributing on this site so hopefully my experience can help others as others have helped mine.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 12/20/2014 - 7:34 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you Liz. The link you provided was very informative. Cheers. X
  • I had numbness in my foot after my first discectomy & it went away after a couple of weeks. After my fusion it returned & 4 months post op it only goes numb if I stand for too long or walk too far (a good way to know my limits!).

I hope it diminishes for you,
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Thanks. I notice on your signature all your surgeries are close in dates and finally,fusion for same spot. If you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons for this?

I wish you well on your path to recovery.
  • Hi There,
    I am responding to your post about numbness. I had my surgery about 2.5 weeks now. I don't know what you mean by decompression, but I did have the same L5S1 surgery. The numbness I had in my calf and toes before surgery is what drove me to have surgery because my situation was getting better. I am amazed at how much I am doing post surgery and today did about a 3 mile walk.

Last night I had some numbness come back into my calf and toes, but it's not painful just more of an inconvenience. What I'd tell you is that your nerve is still very inflammed after just one day and any pain like sciatca and numbness will be normal. In fact I never had siataca until post surgery, but it really only lasted 5 days so these little setbacks I think are normal.

Just stay on top of your icing and walk as much as you can, it will only help improve your circulation. I realized today that my legs were tight and that's going to be a byproduct of the no bending , twisting, or lifting limitations. This site is a great resource so hopefully I've helped

PC all the best!
  • What you are saying seems spot on, thank you for your reply.

I think the decompression part is just all part of the microdiscectomy- I am yet to have post op follow up with surgeon which will be 10days so I will get some more answers then. The nurse did call today to check up and said if my pre surgery symptoms are gone then the numbness and a few other bits of pain I have would just be surgery related and should settle with time. I did forget to ask her a few things but I'm sure I will survive. I think I have saw ur post op.recovery posts so I will keep following.

Cheers X.
  • Owie_999OOwie_999 Posts: 176
    edited 12/22/2014 - 11:23 AM
    After my 1st discectomy I re herniated at 3 1/2 weeks post op. I was following his instructions strictly so there was no reason for it. After my 2nd discectomy I woke up with pain in my ankle that I didn't have before. My surgeon thought it would go away & believed surgery was successful. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a failure as I do believe he removed the herniation, but after being even stricter with restrictions it wasn't feeling right, not at all like the first couple of weeks after my first surgery. A further MRI at the start of July showed further herniation. Hence the fusion in August. He would have done a 3rd discectomy but there wasn't much disc left by that stage & he thought I'd be looking at a fusion anyhow. My surgeons comment before fusion was 'it's just one of those unexplained things' in relation to my re herniations. I followed all of the restrictions strictly so had no injury or pin pointing moment. I believe the original herniation was a wear & tear issue (I have a disabled daughter.

I wish you all the best. I know people who've had great success with discectomies,
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • It really helps me. Well I hope 2015 is your year!

Merry Christmas!