Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 2 Days post op for Microdiscectomy & decompression

shez1325sshez1325 Posts: 49
edited 12/20/2014 - 2:24 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 28 year old female from Australia and wanted to share my journey with surgery as reading others stories has helped me so I hope to help others.

2days post op - pain starting to kick in. I'm thinking the increase in pain due to the local which I was told would last at least 24hrs is wearing off. Although the pain is pretty good considering I am only taking Panandol and Nuerofen. I am still breastfeeding so my surgeon recommend that this is all I should need , I have been given a script for Coedine And Endone if needed which is safe to use while breastfeeding. I have numbness in my foot and calf which I have been told is quite normal to an extent - the nerve has been played around with and needs time to settle. However I did not have this numbness pre surgery only a slight tingle occasionally in my calf, the sciatic pain was severe though. I cannot feel any nerve pain down my leg or in my bum post op, I can stand straight and walk around. In recovery from theatre I had intense pain in my lumbar back to the right side which lead me needing a lot of pain relief and had to stay overnight in hospital. That pain has settled and is only there when rolling or moving position but is tolerable. Again this pain has been put down to the nerve beeing Agitated.

Follow up with surgeon 10days post op. Can shower but have to cover wound area until 4 days then I can take off the reinforcement which was placed because of oozing from the surgical dressing which I was told is normal for the area to bleed a little. After this the surgical dressing is water proof and can shower without fuss.

Already I find a massive improvement in my pain and ability to walk.

Hoping the numbess and pain in lower back improves as it should.

I will keep updating.

Cheers. X

• The surgeons Nurse called for check up Today. Said as long as most symptoms I had pre surgery are gone the numbness and pain in my back would just be surgery related and should settle with time. I guess after going through everything you just get scared you will hurt it again. Will post again after 10day follow up with surgeon.