Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain L4 /L5 Herniated disk .I'm done !! time for the knife..this isn't living

LolitaLLolita Posts: 3
edited 12/21/2014 - 4:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello I am new. I read a couple of post and immediately felt @ home.Finally people with on going pain and depression can relate with me. My main concern as of right now . Should I go to the ER ?? I have L4/L5 Herniated disk due to a coworkers careless action . We were hauling away a stove and he let his end go which caused the stove to fall back and my life of pain began that was in 2011. I was having severe spasm with soreness. I started getting cortisone shots the first one is the only one that lasted up to 7 months with meds I was mobile. There after the shots became a monthly thing to mask my pain so I could go to work. Now with every Dr. Appointment I had one great question. When can we fix my back ? So I don't need your meds or the shots. Now with the shots .I stopped 1yr due to discoloration it was causing along with it looking deformed and they just didn't work ..really it did more damage.... I can give info to anyone wanting to know about the cortisone shot and side effects from receiving them myself. Now everyone is different and I'm not a Dr.
So now I had two major concern. I asked Dr. Why would he gave me the shots for so long knowing that it only mask the problem and the crippling effects it caused .I swear it looked like a hole was about to form in the same area he shot me up every time. But again I had to work . Also The Dr. HE never really gave me a real answer just dope. But he kept me coming to his app The pain most of time was manage with just narco .I did try other things like acupuncture which I didn't like ..the needle thing i just couldn't get' into. My back flared up also so that didn't work. I gave Hot Yoga a chance which did help with the stiffness and flexibility felt good but It too was short lived. I kept flaring up. With my flare ups along came days missing at work with bed rest .Then the depression .Really? I don't know what was worst. See I've been trying to more up at work but my back kept pulling me down.Depression along with pain is not a joke ..Just hang in .It will be over soon I say to myself .I learned a few ways to keep the Devil out of my head..Staying positive is the answer ..Read , Watch positive stuff, not allowing any room for negativity.Once that door is open the Enemy has a field day with your mind. Lies!!! OK that's that again my personal feeling. If u don't like don't apply.Back to Dr. He didn't never give a real answer as to why I wasn't a prime cannidate for surgery but I can keep coming to his appointments so he can get paid . And the meds been on them for years They stopped working so now my tolerance is high so now more issues .My back has not let up and meds don't work so I now Dr. Wants to act concern about my well being. To late !!! Instead of feeding me pills for years instead he should of fixed the problem or sent me to someone who could. Ok I will try to stay positive.Dr never would give me anything different to help with pain just the same stuff which I had to learn to respect because of the addiction I had for them when I would see 1 pill left or when I didn't have none. It could get so ugly. Every darn time my back went completely out meds where gone due to using more. What is a girl suppose to do? So at present moment the Dr.has gotten to old to do backs which I really wanted him to do because I had my Rotator cuff done by him and I don't feel a thing in my shoulder and now he has requested for me to have surgery but now my case has ran out of time with workers comp. And of course they don't want to claim it. Issues after issues .My life with this back problem has been so hard. I haven't been able to live . I'm not me. I been in so much pain I don't have family over CUZ i cant cater to them .I've missed birthday parties for the little ones. It's been a lot of nothing. So just a little about me. Present time. I'm off work...I did get promotion. I went as far as I can go for now. I can not walk at all right now. Nor can I lift my leg up or move it side to side my mobility is completely gone. Every movement causes radiating sharp burning pain. I have siatica on both sides which started this year .Omg !I went to my regular Dr because I thought I pulled my butt checks out of alignment. Both sides had these tennis ball feeling lumps .I can feel my saitic nerve in my body it's swollen it's feels like thick rope on fire shooting down to foot which I noticed I feel pain in foot when I move it .I walk and feel like I'm paralyzed, my foot drags and I walk in a lurking state . My foot feels frozen. I m having unbearable pain in my saddle area it feels like I popped my hip joints out of socket and this to is shooting hot pain up & down . I am a little scared because it feels like if I don't get fix soon I'll be paralyzed. And this is not in my head !!! Cant hold my pee. area feels numb . This stuff i mention had started to go really bad last two days . Now has anyone experience this before ?Did u go to ER? And what can they do for me besides take my money and send me home the same way I came in.. Broken. ..

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My nerve problem had gotten worse after epidermal shots. Immediately after I got off the man table I was hurting bad . I couldn't walk without pain shooting down legs. I called the Dr. He stated It would feel bad before it gets good ..not true at all. Never got better. Worst if anything
    Also I'm 44 yr.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 12/21/2014 - 4:52 AM
    If you are having issues with not being able to hold your urine or bowels, then you need to be seen by a spine surgeon as soon as possible.
    The ER is not for treatment of pain from chronic spine pain but if these symptoms with the feeling in your buttocks and not being able to urinate are new , you need to be seen and evaluated for Cauda Equina Syndrome or call your current primary and ask him what you should do.

A patient always has the option to consult with a surgeon on your own, if you were dissatisfied with the treatment and lack of progress with your pain management doctor. When was your last imaging and what did it show? Have you ever consulted with a spine surgeon regarding your back issues for treatment options and suggestions?

• If your pain intensity has become physically limiting, you may have reached the point where you need treatment beyond pain meds and injections. Time to seek out a a new doctor, as in a spine surgeon who after an exam should order imaging (MRI) and possibly EMG nerve study to come up with a game plan. My 2 Cents...I wouldn't want a doctor who does shoulders(joints) doing work on my spine. Best of luck.