Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Misread MRI report

JAMO316JJAMO316 Posts: 2
edited 12/23/2014 - 8:03 PM in Chronic Pain
I have had an unidentifiable pain for about a year now, I got an MRI on my lumbar and my sacrum. I got a copy to take home and the report came a week later. The report said only mild disk degeneration in the L5-S1.
But when I look at the MRI I can clearly see that the parts of the sacrum are twisted and parts do not look right. Is there any way to get a copy of a healthy looking sacral MRI that I could compare it with?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 12/23/2014 - 8:03 PM
    If you feel you have been misdiagnosed you could discuss this again with your doctor and consider a second opinion. MRIs are very complex and are interpreted by an Mri technician.

Welcome Message

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I had an MRI done at one hospital but later decided I'd follow through with treatment at another hospital. Based on the reading of the first MRI of my neck I had a steroid inject at C7-T1. The injection did not help at all. When I dragged myself to the second injection my pain doc decided that we would not do the second one based on the lack of improvement from the first. The "resident" he had with him that day was a "fellow" and already had a professional career at a physical Therapist and then as a radiologist who specialize in reading MRIs. He could see from the original MRI that the report was wrong and I had received an epidural injection in the wrong disc based on misinformation. (No, I'm not discussing legal issues from that!)

Anyway, I went back and had three new MRIs (Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar) and these all reread by a different Radiologist. In the light of the new readings and new scans my future doesn't look as bright BUT knowing what is wrong and having that addressed appropriately is much more helpful.
    I would definitely request that another radiologist look over your MRI. Most places will give you a copy of your MRI on a CD which a Radiologist can then review.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    You need to be taken your time up with those doctors If you feel that your mri's have been misread you should be discussing this with another medical professional And perhaps a lawyer
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • MRI's are interpreted differently by different doctors. That's why Neurosurgeons like to see the actual disc themselves and don't go by just the radiologists report. Do you have a medical background? MRI's are not easy to interpret, even with a medical background. I have three years of nursing school, and I switched my undergrad to pre-med (which I am now)....I would even have a hard time reading it myself. I would def leave it to the docs. I would get a copy of the disc and make an appointment with a neurosurgeon. He/she then can correctly read the MRI and guide you on what to do next....
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15