Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion L3-S1 and Decompression 5 months Recovering Well?

jbelljjbell Posts: 4
edited 12/24/2014 - 4:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am done with physical therapy, and I am trying to get back my stamina. I used to speedwalk over 5mph. Now I am sadly at 4 mph. I am currently doing 2.3 miles 3 x per week. I am trying so hard to progress and I have some pain when I lie down at night... and I get TIRED! I am so over not being myself. How many people take this long to get their stamina back? I have my X-rays in about 6 weeks to see the healing. I want to get back to aerobics but I know it will take time. I thought I was doing so well and here I am on this forum whining.

I had a deep tissue massage for the scar tissue and my left side is pretty sore from nerve pain I think. I feel like I got kicked by a horse, even the skin is sore. It has been this way for months. I know it isn't "real". How many of you have that kind of thing? I am 62 BTW, but I did hi impact aerobics until 6 months before the surgery and I couldn't do it anymore. I want to loose the ten pounds I have gained. Help! Tell me how you all did this?

Thank you for listening to me whine. It usually isn't my style.

• You are ONLY 5 months out from a fusion surgery..........fusion recovery can take about a year before you are back to what you would consider most of your normal activities and activity levels.
  • Thank you for your reply.
    Really? I tend to be hard on myself. Is it normal to be so tired after exercise?
  • Remember, your body has been through a lot, and is still recovering. Your stamina has lowered because of all of the physical exertion involved in the acute post op recovery.......this is the middle stage now and you are going to tire easily until your stamina slowly increases and you are able to do things more easily. It seriously took me more than a year before I wasn't exhausted just from trying to get around, and do the basics.
  • But you will be lucky if your stamina returns by your year anniversary. That is what takes the longest. As far as returning to your aerobics, I was allowed to do that after eight months of a similar fusion than yours. But be prepared to do a modified version, as some moves you should still be avoiding.