Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-SI reherniated

NickG23NNickG23 Posts: 3

I am new this forum. Here's my deal:

-11/2013 I had a herniation at L5-S1
-pain was around 5-7 until surgery
-11/2014 I had a microdisctomy on L5-S1
-12/2014 leg pain is a constant 8-9
-it's been getting worse each week/day
-laying down or sitting on couch are the only things that help

So for you out there who have this what has worked for pain? Does stretching actually help? They told me about nerve flossing but that does not seem to help.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • has reherniated, or are you guessing that it has? Your surgeon should be guiding your recovery at this stage since surgery was only a month ago......sitting is going to worsen the pain, and should be limited to short time frames, and walking should be your best physical therapy. Nerve pain tends to increase post op for some, and may disappear as quickly as it shows up.
  • NickG23NNickG23 Posts: 3
    edited 01/05/2015 - 5:15 AM

It has been about a week since I posted last. I have a follow up appt today to get a second opinion. The surgeon that I had the surgery from told me it was reherniated after he looked at my MRI.
  • Owie_999OOwie_999 Posts: 176
    edited 01/08/2015 - 7:51 AM
    :( In answer to your question, when I re herniated my surgeon scheduled a repeat surgery. It was 8 weeks between them. In the gap time I walked 3 times a week in water which felt great while I was doing it & took the edge off the pain. When I wasn't. The only stretching I did was a neural stretch where my physio pulled on my leg at my ankle. Harder to mimic at home.

I hope your second opinion gives you further answers,
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Wouldn't do much without permission if I were you. You could complicate things. I had surgery a couple weeks prior to your surgery for Cauda Equina Syndrome. My pain , numbness and tingling never completely went away. Dr was baffled (overconfidence I think). EMG shows pinched nerve. I'm thinking now what. Reherniation is common after surgery . Just wouldn't want you to damage your nerves. Pain is a warning sign. We can't always fix it completely.