Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Stenosis - My neck pain radiating and tingling fingers

johnny_mojjohnny_mo Posts: 1
edited 12/25/2014 - 7:33 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but this is my current situation.

I'm a 55-year-old healthy man. I've been an active person for many years (running, hiking, on my feet at work for years) and only recently have I been experiencing mild/moderate discomfort in my neck. Here are some of my symptoms:

1. Localized pain in my neck, on the left side
2. A 'knot' feeling near my left shoulder blade
3. Localized pain on my left elbow (sensative when I push my finger into the skin)
4. Radiating tingling down to my left thumb/forefinger (but sometimes all fingers)
5. More pain when I'm sitting (right now!) and less/no pain when I hang my head down or am in bed with my chin in my chest

I've been to see a doctor and I had some x-rays taken. They indicated cervical stenosis; degenerative disease; bone spurs near C5-7
I've been prescribed Naproxen (500mg) and Gabapentin (100mg). Not sure why the Gabapentin, since I don't know what its used for. Anyone can answer this????
I only take the Naproxen when I really need it. Otherwise I take Ibuprofen. Never take them together or even near each other's dosage timing. Sometimes a day apart.

The doctor has now scheduled me for MRI's in February. That will be at xxxx, so I hope I am going to get the quality care I expect.

I'm hoping I can get some of you out there to share your story if you are in the same situation (past or present) regarding these symptoms, and what you've experienced in treatment and results. I'd hate to go under the knife, but I also don't want to be in this constant pain and discomfort.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear back from many of you. I'll keep you all updated on my progress and treatments.

Merry Christmas (2014) today!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have been taking gabapentin for a couple months. I had a cervical herniated disc at c5 and c6 and bulged discs at c4 and c7. I had c5/c6 fused in September. The disc at c5/c6 was compressing my spinal cord and I had myelopathy.
    I have had most of my pain is radiating pain down my arms and into my fingers. The gabapentin helps a little bit with that and headaches.
    Tracie C
  • You just described my MRI after PT and traction made headaches worse. And that is how it is, everyone's different.
    When I went on Gabapentin, for headaches because the migraine meds were now ineffective, I felt immediately different. After a week I was having a severe reaction with shortness of breath and chest constriction and discontinued. My doctor prescribed Lyrica 75mg x2 daily instead. I was told these medications assist in calming nerves amongst other things.
    46 F Avg Hgt/Weight non-smkr/drkr, ex-runner
    Chronic back/neck pain/urticaria (pic)
    ADCF C6-7, 11/13
    C3-4-5 , L3-4-5-S1 DDD bulge annular tear