I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but this is my current situation.
I'm a 55-year-old healthy man. I've been an active person for many years (running, hiking, on my feet at work for years) and only recently have I been experiencing mild/moderate discomfort in my neck. Here are some of my symptoms:
1. Localized pain in my neck, on the left side
2. A 'knot' feeling near my left shoulder blade
3. Localized pain on my left elbow (sensative when I push my finger into the skin)
4. Radiating tingling down to my left thumb/forefinger (but sometimes all fingers)
5. More pain when I'm sitting (right now!) and less/no pain when I hang my head down or am in bed with my chin in my chest
I've been to see a doctor and I had some x-rays taken. They indicated cervical stenosis; degenerative disease; bone spurs near C5-7
I've been prescribed Naproxen (500mg) and Gabapentin (100mg). Not sure why the Gabapentin, since I don't know what its used for. Anyone can answer this????
I only take the Naproxen when I really need it. Otherwise I take Ibuprofen. Never take them together or even near each other's dosage timing. Sometimes a day apart.
The doctor has now scheduled me for MRI's in February. That will be at xxxx, so I hope I am going to get the quality care I expect.
I'm hoping I can get some of you out there to share your story if you are in the same situation (past or present) regarding these symptoms, and what you've experienced in treatment and results. I'd hate to go under the knife, but I also don't want to be in this constant pain and discomfort.
Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear back from many of you. I'll keep you all updated on my progress and treatments.
Merry Christmas (2014) today!