Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain the same or worse after surgery is normal, right?

Penguinz90PPenguinz90 Posts: 22
edited 12/26/2014 - 7:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 23 days post op (laminectomy, L3-L4 fusion with titanium bolts and screws, cage and bone graph) and the sciatica is much better on my left side (which is where most of my problems were) but now my right side is xxxx ! my skin around my incision, lower back and hips is hypersensitive to the touch...just running fingers along it hurts. I barely moved yesterday, rolling over in bed and my entire right leg hurts so bad now, nothing touches it. It is a combination of sciatica pain, occassional burning around my ankle and bottom of foot (just lasts a few seconds) and overall achiness up and down the entire leg. My doctor spoke with me briefly before I left the hospital and he said things were much worse than he expected when they got in there (fusion L3-L4). My bone was so degenerated and messed up they could physically see the damage, which I guess is not really common. He also expected the vertebra to be stuck and difficult to move (50% spondylolisthesis), but instead he was able to move it mostly back into position because it was completely unstable and slipping and sliding all over the place. My disc was completely crushed into the spinal canal so he removed it and added a cage, my nerves were totally compressed. I haven't seen him since because they had to remove my staples a few days before my appointment with him (I am allergic to metal and was developing an infection from them) and so I won't see him for another month to discuss things. His office said it's normal to still feel sciatica pains and such, but I would feel more comfortable hearing about the experiences of others who have actually been through it themselves. Thanks and happy holidays everyone!