Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Synovial Cyst between L4 and L5

lulullulu Posts: 1
edited 12/26/2014 - 8:16 AM in New Member Introductions
I am six weeks post surgery for a 7mm synovial cyst removal between L4 and L5 that was pressing on my sciatic nerve in my left leg. Recovery seemed to be going well for the first four weeks, but the last two have led to increasing pain in my lower back. Over the past two days, the severe pain in my left butt down through my sciatic nerve has become almost unbearable. I am scheduled to begin PT this coming Wednesday, but cannot imagine doing so in my current state.

Prior to surgery and over the course of six weeks, my synovial cyst was excised and I received cortisone shots in my back every two weeks. The shots reduced the pain for 7-10 days, but the pain would return to its original level before the next shot was administered. After completing this protocol and feeling no better, my orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery to remove the cyst.

To give you a little background, I am a 60 year old female with a long history of extreme activity, including tennis every day mixed with cardio, weight lifting, and yoga. I am baffled as to how my back health could have declined so quickly over the past six months, requiring surgery. The painful state I am in right now is just as bad or worse as it was pre-surgery. I have been prescribed pain medication, but have opted not to take the narcotics.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.