Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 injury,Sciatic Pain, Whether to have surgery or continue with medicines and exercises

Hi,

I had a fall two years ago that resulted in disk herniation at L5/S1. The pain after almost around a year subsided and i thought its gone but then again started again. I have pain in my calves and feet and sometime in hips as well.

I have been to neurosurgeons, some suggested surgery and others were like you dont need surgery at all. As per the ones that didn't advise surgery, exercise was my way to recovery. With the anti inflammatory medicine and some multi vitamins i continued my life with a change in job, then leaving that job due to its requirement of physical work and now to almost jobless situation. The thing is after two years i feel i am at crossroads to have surgery or not. Doctors are conflicting in their own way and i don't blame them as each one has and can have their own opinion. But the thing is my healing, my recovery. I am almost 30, just when i was about to have a good promotion, start earning good money, get married, help my parents/family/people around me, be a part of their solutions to problems, contribute to society, excel in basketball; there came sciatica and it grounded me( I believe each one dealing with spine injuries has their own background).

The anti inflammtory medicines after some time started to have a reverse effect on my stomach so i stopped them. Despite the pain in legs and feet, i don't want my stomach to go wrong way. In past 4-5 months i have avoided them at all and am only taking multi vitamins(is it good or bad to leave anti inflammatory medicines, do they help in disc healing or only reduces the pain ).

A friend of mine had a surgery and he is doing good now. Reading posts here I see every one had different outcome, some went great and other had negative effects of surgery. An acquaintance of my uncle who is an orthopedic surgeon is completely against cutting the disk surgeries :). Its a confusion, the prospects of having a pain free life directs me for surgery and then looking at some people experiences it feels its better to be in current state and wait for healing rather than an unsuccessful surgery. Larry Bird had a bad back but he continued playing with, he had a surgery as well but still looking at his videos playing with back pain inspires me to wait for the natural healing But sometimes in those painful moments you feel its better to have surgery.

I am doing stretching ,strengthening back and core muscles exercises but im not so sure if they are helping at all. Just for reference I have attached my spine MRI just to get a comparison from other members how do it compares to their scans. Does this herniation asks for a surgey. This MRI was done two years.

It would be great to have comments from other members how did they decide to have surgery or not, the reasons they weighed for or against to decide a surgery.

">image

Thanks.

PS: This is a universal forum with tons of reading for folks with spine problems. Kudos to administrator for running it. Secondly, English is not m y first language so please don't mind if i have written something that doesn't clear up the situation.

advertisement