Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member undergoing PLIF L3-L5

Hello Everyone, I am new to your Forum. I feel I am a little older than most guest here. I am 61, RN. This all took me by surprise! I had started having issues standing is one spot for many years, I could walk or pace around but not stand still, for a nurse this was very difficult. I had for many years had an issue with severe pain in my left hip that I mistakenly thought was arthritis! Come to find out both issues were caused from stenosis of in my spine. Now I have 4 bulging disc, a slipped vertebrae, and a protruding disc that is pushing on the nerve bundle, degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. They have scheduled my surgery as soon as possible. I have been in excruciating pain for awhile now. I'm trying to gather/order/organize things for my surgery. It will just be my husband and myself. He isn't in the best of health to be helping me. We are doing the best we can. I have someone to grocery shop for us if needed. Any information you can give me will be helpful. I like to keep busy. I don't read about any one talk about things they do except walk. I had thought about trying to have some small sewing projects available to work on or some type of busy work. What did you do to keep busy? My husband doesn't cook! He can make a sandwich and heat soup. How long before I could expect to be able to do a little cooking on my own? Time frames on how you progressed into task of daily living would help me greatly. Although I know everyone is different. My doctor has given only a 50-50 chance this will work I am determined I will be in that 50%. I cannot/will not accept this helpless situation I am in now. I have not been able to leave the house since Thanksgiving! We had soup! For Christmas I was able to fix rice and a pre-cooked hamburger patties you heat in the microwave. UGH! Think we may need some frozen dinners.

• Sorry to hear of your pain. I had a TLIF /4/5 fusion and laminectomy on 11.5.14, and I'm 47. Everyones recovery is different so we all feel better at different times, but unless your surgeon tells you differently, walking and resting will be what you do. I did a little bit of coooking after 2 weeks. I had grand plans of all of the little scrapbooking and holiday projects I was going to do and well I did none of them becuae I was too tired or couldnt sit for that long or couldnt concentrate. If you have someone to grocery shop, great, getting some prepared meals to keep in freezer will be a key. Also moving things around in your home where you can reach them, even the fridge. I would ask the surgeon what he/she thinks you will need. I got a rollator as initially when out walking i would get tired and need to sit for a moment and that was helpful to have a seat. I also got a shower chair, some nice thick wipes to wash up with when I couldnt get a shower and a pre shampooed shower cap when i couldnt wash my hair ...that was the 1st week or 2 after surgery. comfortable loose fitting clothes and a toilet riser helped me a great deal.
    Any questions, feel free to pm me or respond here.

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
    Spondylolithesis (congenital)