Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Age discrimination with pain killers

peenerppeener Posts: 1
edited 12/28/2014 - 6:51 AM in Pain Medications
Back in 2008 I tore my knee up in an accident and was referred to a pain management doctor when I couldn't afford the surgery (15k with no insurance) other than taking 5mg of vicodin for a broken foot years earlier I had no experience with any other drugs at all not even smoking cigarettes. I was a college grad with a business and on my first visit the pain management doctor that was also an MD put me on 180 15mg Roxies, and 180 30 mg Roxies. I have a very strong stomach so after i took one I wasn't sick at all. This continued for two years and after the DEA came in to shut down doctors it started to become increasingly difficult to fill my prescriptions. Sometimes I would have to drive around to 10-15 pharmacies in order to fill my script. There was one mom and pop pharmacy that always had them available but they didn't take insurance and would chagre $2.50 for 15mg Roxies and $5.00 for 30mg Roxies. If I went to them to fill it it would cost me over $2000 for a months supply. Thats insane!!!!! The only people that could afford that was the people that sold theres for $15-20. I started taking one pill a day to after two years of building up a tolerance was taking 16-20 pills a day. Because I was in my 30's and looked young I would get the weird looks almost every time I turned in the script. In 2009 when there was a shortage I would get the bs excuse of were out come back in two weeks. I tried my local Walmart and waited in line and began to speak to the elderly lady behind me that had the exact same script as me. When I turned mine in she looked at the script, looked at me and said were out so I decided to wait and the lady behind turns hers in and her response is ok dear give us 20 mins. I was xxxx, enraged, and was getting desperate. Whether or not the pharmacy assistant believed I was in pain its not her call to make. I feel I was discriminated against due to my age. I finally found a place to fill mine but each month I was having to go through this whole ordeal that was so time consuming and frustrating. My doctor unfortunately got into a car accident and put a note on his office door that he would be out and didn't know when he would be back. I had enough meds for about 4 days and had no other way to get anything. I wound up having to put myself in a cheap detox place that people being released from prison were court ordered to go to. I felt really outta place and after 3 days I checked myself out and was off them for good. I feel really bad for you people that have these problems now especially if your younger because you have probably experienced some of these same problems. Update to the doctor and pharmacy that was price gouging. The doctor was shut down in 2011 and fled back to South America, and the pharmacy owner and head pharmacist was arrested and the pharmacy shut down in 2012.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    all you seem to be concentrated on is your pain medications. That 'attitude' can easily be seen by pharmacists and doctors.
    That could be some of the problems you are having.

Pharmacy shopping is another major problem that will definitely put you on the red flag list Once you are there, it can be
    so very difficult to get anything filled.

I would go back your doctor to discuss your medications.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • "pill mill". There is no medical reason to take a patient who is taking an occassional 5 mg vicoden to 15 mg oxycodone and 30mg oxycodone ( both instant release medications)......You were given far too much medication both in strength and quantity, which is also why pharmacists refused to fill it. Pharmacists have a duty and an obligation by law not to fill prescriptions that they feel are not legitimate prescriptions.
    The simple fact that you wound up taking that much medication per day, is scary.......and very easily could have wound up in your death. Instead of being angry at the doctors and pharmacists, perhaps you might want to THANK them, because at least some of them tried to look out for you, when the pill mill doctor didn't.......
    It also sounds like one of the pharmacies you used, was also in it for the money.......thankfully, with the recent changes to some laws regarding dispensing opiates, those places are far less available.
  • At 22, I've never had these problems. I began on 5mg of Norco and just bumped up to 7.5mg. You jumped very quickly to medications more powerful than a measly 5mg Norco. My pharmacists never had problems filling my prescriptions and will always give me a heads up about side effects. I have to agree with Sandi in the idea that these medications in those amounts are dangerous. Something to consider and just a though on my part, is that you said you were driving around to multiple pharmacies looking to fill a prescription. Although your script was valid, if pharmacies got word you were going around to different ones, intentionally or unintentionally, it looks bad and can sometimes make you seem as if you are simply looking for pain meds.