Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain from Degenerative Disease"

cmickccmick Posts: 2
edited 12/28/2014 - 6:53 AM in Chronic Pain
I have gone through this at the age of 33, 42 and now 60. Pain is no fun. The 1st two times no medical doctor could find little wrong with me other than degenerative changes in discs of facet arthritis. I think MRIs have come a long way because they see a lot more now. I have been to ortho, neuro, primary care, and pain management. Was given oral steroids and even taken to the MAYO clinic initially.
Not only pain down legs into the butt, but pain in other extremities and into feet w/ muscle twitching, tremors, buzzing , tingling you name it and I have had it.

The symptoms appear after childbirth (1 st time); & after breaking an ailing and hobbling around in a cast (2nd time) and currently when I broke a toe and needed another walking cast that threw off my gait.

All this pain comes on slow and gets a lot worse till it gets better...took 15 months first time and 18 month 2 nd time. I am currently into the 3 rd time and actually doing better. ...with hernaited discs (4) and 2 bulging and a synovial cyst.

So what do you do ?

#1) See doctor and get testing
#2) Ask for manual physical therapist- one that will lay hands on you
#3) Go to pain management doctor for treatment. Never had spinal epidurals- they scare me.
Had Radio-frequency ablation and it seemed to help with osteo of fact joints. Was on oral steroids to cool of inflammation.
#4) Pain meds, But lighten up on them to figure out if you are still having pain.

Currently, I am working through it with PT, Aleve, muscle relaxer; and occasional pain med when really needing it. I limit sitting and continue to work to keep my mind off the pain.

3 rd time hurting. !!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 12/28/2014 - 6:53 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am 49 now, But at age 40 my life change with serious headaches, back pain, leg pain. Then I started with acupuncture then pain meds over-the-counter, epidural injections. Moving forward 2 surgery down, pain pump I am still going thru allot of pain, dont know if the meds is not getting to my system or not.

Question my right leg just hurts on the side muscle from my buttocks lower back. putting my feet down is painful, it started out no and again, it has excalated to all the time, what do I do about this where do I look?

Elayne Farquharson