Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flying Away From Disability

Pretty BirdPPretty Bird Posts: 1
edited 12/28/2014 - 7:34 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello all. I go by Pretty Bird in these forums but you can also call me Monica.

My medical conditions include bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees, herniated disks in both the lower back and the neck, and chronic insomnia (like, since they first tried to get me up via an alarm clock at age 5 to go to kindergarten). I've had knee and back issues since my teens. I'm now 64. I've had pinched nerves in my neck for weeks at a time, severe enough to leave my right arm paralyzed for months. I've had bulging disks in my lower back so bad that I spent all of May 1989 flat on my back, unable even to get up to go to the bathroom, and walked sideways like a crab using a cane for the following eight months. I've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees to clean up torn cartilage but have so far resisted getting knee replacements, having seen some friends of mine go through nightmares afterwards. In addition I think that there are other things that complicate the problem, such as weakness of the thigh muscles and trouble with tendons and ligaments, which surgery won't fix. So I'm very leery of surgery. I've been looking for relief and improvement for three years now, putting up with the pain and the severe limitations of movement. I was successful in claiming permanent disability since I can't walk even a block, can't stand up for much more than 15 minutes without experiencing debilitating painful stiffness, can't climb stairs, and when I stand up (a chore in itself) I must stand still for a couple of minutes before I can take even a limping step. Not to mention that I can't "push through" when things get bad. There is no choice other than to lie down and hope it lets up.

The funny thing is that to look at me you might never get a clue that I have all this going on. I'm very good at faking and hiding it and I can't stand being perceived as disabled. I continue to hope that medical science will make some strides towards figuring out these awful diseases and coming up with a cure. I don't think people give enough weight to the quality-of-life issues, focused as they are on quantity-of-life.