Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have to go off meds

griffggriff Posts: 496
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Management
I've gotten myself in a bind with my medications. It's my own dang fault and I should have known better. In the past my neuro has sent prescriptions by mail once when I haven't been able to get over there. I called last week telling them I simply can't drive that far (45 min one way). They called yesterday and told me that I had to go in today or they couldn't write them- she could no longer send them to me. Well, it's today or the end of the month- she's going on vacation- and I have no one to drive me!

I would bite the bullet and drive myself but my truck is breaking down and left me stranded the other day while getting groceries. So, I guess I'll start titering down and see where it leaves me. I have about a week and a half of full dose methadone left and, because of the mom fiasco, about 1/3 of a month supply of vicodin. It will be interesting to see if the methadone is doing anything at this point as I haven't gone up in doseage since I started taking it.

Let's just call it another adventure, shall we?

• sweetie , I am so sorry...this is just awful for you. Do you have no one that could take you or is there no other doctor in that office that could write the scripts out if you were able to get there on another day? I will be praying for you and just remember that we are all here for you if you need us....try to take it easy...Miki
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I am sorry to hear about this situation. I assume there is no other type of transportation help you can get this time.
    If you have to go through this basic withdrawal, you need to have some medical contact at hand. Drink tons of fluids, get rest.
    It may be very rough going and if we here at Spine-Health can do anything to make that road someone easier, even if to let you vent and scream a bit, go for it.

Take care and good luck. I'll be thinking about you and hoping this 'test' you are going through is quick and easy for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • See if some one can drive you! Even with tapering off of the methadone I had withdrawal, same with Fentanyl, and it's no fun! Never mind the pain, but please see if some one can't drive you! I'd do it myself if I were near you!
  • Griff,
    Tapering off the methadone is going to be different than tapering off the vicoden because of the long half life of it.
    It might be a rough ride. Can you call your doctor's office back and speak directly to the doctor and explain that you can't get there because of the vehicle issue and give her a date when you can get in there? Do you think that she will give you a taper schedule for the methadone? Or maybe some clonopin to help with the withdrawal symptoms?
    I feel for you, after all you have gone through in the last few months, you certainly didn't need this on top of it.
    Take care of yourself,
  • I can tell you that, after the tapering of last night and this morning, my body is fully utilizing the methadone after all. I can feel the difference in my pain levels after 2 doses. I don't take a tremendous amount of vicodin, I only use it a couple of times a week, so that isn't an issue.

I won't ask her to do anything she's uncomfortable with. Clearly she is not okay with sending them to me and I won't push the issue. I have the utmost respect for her and can't see this relationship hitting a bump over meds- does that make any sense? This is not her fault, it's mine and I'll take responsibility for it.

I don't know many folks here, none well enough to ask. We didn't have enough time to nurture those relationships before all this happened. I'll wait this out and hope things improve.

Thank you all for the understanding and compassion. If any of you were here, I'd let you drive me!

• Dear Griff, iI havent heard your story however I do feel for you as its not fun being in that situation.I sometimes get angry that meds control so much of my life. I always have to make sure I am ok with all of them before I go anywhere , do I have to see the Dr. or call or what. I must say Im extremly lucky as they never let me down. He will write 3 months of scripts at a time for me unless Im having problems . Which lately has been the case.I have been with the same Dr, for almost 8 years.Well enough about me , I do wish you the best , and maybe you could contact a local agency that helps handicap or in need people in your area. Is that a possabillity? Or public transportation?Well good luck and try to stay well. Cheryle
  • Aww Mama i am sorry this is happening to you! wish there was a way to help you. your showing great grace and courage now,and i hope you dont go into any w/d symptomes.
    Your doing the right thing..I want you to know that! It takes a person of great character to take the high road,i hope this situation resolves itself quickly!!!!
    hang in there MAMA! your doctor better take care of you..coz your a part of a greater solution!
    I will watch the forum and look for ya and if ya want a hand or a shoulder,i will try to be there K?
    Be brave and strong and steady on! and if the pain wants ta neek up on ye..givem hell girlly! the beast has met its match!
    love n hugs
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I am so sorry that this has happened to you! But, I can tell you that I keep making the mistake of lowering the dose to see where I am really at with my pain levels and I have paid dearly. Once you start lowering it and hit the 10 plus pain levels it takes awhile to get that pain back down. Are you sure that you can't take a bus or is there any senior transportation in your area? lots of times they will also transport the disabled. I am with Paul though, especially if you have a respectful relationship with the doc I would call and ask about making the appt for the following week and just be honest about the transportation problem. She knows that you do not need to withdraw off the methadone and she will probably be compassionate to send one last script. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I read your post and it took me back to two years ago when I was changing from my primary doc to the pain doc... my primary was retiring and referred me to the pain doc. I had been taking methadone for a few years and was taking it twice a day (honestly the best pain control I ever had). It was prescribed for me to take three times a day so the last script I had lasted me longer than a month. Before I could get in to see the pain doc, I ran COMPLETELY OUT of the methadone. It took me four horrible days of withdrawals to finally get it all out of my system. I thought I would die!! The pain doc put me on something different now- wish I coulda done without anything, but chronic painers no that ain't happening! Good luck with your meds. I hope you can get something done before the weekend. It just seems worse to have to suffer through a weekend for some reason...
  • I'm humbled by all of your concerns. It's nice to be taken so seriously and cared for so deeply and I want to say that before the crabby me takes over from all of this ;)

I have enough methadone to last, if I cut it down by half, to last about a week and a half. Vicodin, Well, there are about 35 of those left and they last only last about four hours for breakthrough pain. My neuro is on vacation as of today and will not return until July 28. The math doesn't add up and, no matter what I do, I won't be able to get it all to stretch out that long. It's not a transportation problem- that was for the one day! I live in a rural area (very) and there isn't any public transport. There are some medical transportation busses but they don't go where I need them to.

I will have to humble myself and talk to my surgeon today and see if he'll do something for me. He made it clear to me that he wanted nothing to do with methadone in the beginning. Perhaps I can bat my eyelashes or produce a tear or two.......yea, right!

I am in pain but can I handle that? I'm not sure yet. I slept for an hour and couldn't stay asleep. I simply can't judge it all on a few days and don't know what to do. Docs here are paranoid about opiates and I don't see any others regularly. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place but, like I said, I got myself here. I'll wait it out if I need to.

Hugs to all of you for the compassion,

• I've been worried about you coming down off of that methadone! :O Maybe if it gets too bad you can go to the ER?

I'm sorry you're hurting, I hate those long sleepless nights where you're curled up in a ball crying and would give anything to make the pain stop and go to sleep...But call the surgeon, it can't hurt! I know I hate calling doctors for meds, but heck, they need to know and the surgeon if he has half a brain will know that what's going on with your meds right now is not good for you! I have my fingers crossed and PM me if you need anything!

• Griff -

I too hate to hear that you are going through this. Meds are a slippery slope. I got off the patches earlier this year and let me tell you that was by far the worst 4 days of my life. It was my choice to get off them, but after day 2 I was seriously regretting it. I switched to Oxycontin instead which is kind of robbing peter to pay paul. Still a narcotic, but because it is not a 24/7 thing I felt I had a better pulse on where my pain stood.

I pray that you can find a solution quickly and that you dont have too rough a road ahead of you. Take care of yourself, try to enjoy the holiday weekend!

• How many mgs of the methadone do you take daily?
  • ya hanging inn there mama? strength to you!
    i wish i had my pick um up, ide drive up there and bring ya some chocolate and whiskey..
    chocolate for warming the tummy
    whiskey to numb the sences
    hang in there ok?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Wow, what a ride!

I had to go to the surgeon's office for a 5 week check up. My husband came home to get me and took one look at me and freaked out. He told me "I would have left work and gone to get your script! You should have told me it was this bad!" It wouldn't have worked- he would have had to come to get me and taken me there, they require you to show up for the script so it was a moot point but it was nice to see him understand.

Halfway there (3 hour ride one way) I made him stop the truck on the freeway and I had to toss. It was the first time in 5 years my hubby has ever seem me throw up and it scared him. He wanted to go home but it actually made me feel a little better. No WAY was I going to miss that appointment.

I'll post my appointment results in the surgery section but guess what? He refilled my methadone! He saw how much I was hurting and asked what was going on and I told him. He has no experience with it at all. I asked him for help with the withdrawl and he told me that he had no idea what to do and then said he would just give me a months script to tide me over until I could get back in to see my neuro. I almost kissed him!

I'm still not feeling good but I'm getting there. When I do this for real I'll definately do it differently. Although I only take 20 mg day, I'm extremely medication sensitive and, apparently, I'll have to use caution. I don't know how anyone does this cold turkey- I would have been in the ER for sure.

You all have been so incredible through this. It brings tears to my eyes to know how much you've all supported me. I can't thank you enough.

• am so glad that he gave you some scripts....I hope that you will feel better now and not be in such a bad state....good luck to you sweetie... :)
  • Griff, I feel so bad that you are having to do this. When you have to depend on someone else to get you around it is rough. I wish that I lived near where you are, then I would have taken you myself. If you start to feel the signs of with-drawl, just make sure you get to the hospital!!!! You will not be able to handle the with-drawls on your own. My surgeon that did my pain meds and surgery for a bit over a year took me straight off a pain medication that the pain doc had put me on, and what I did go through was no fun. Thankfully after I told the Er doc what had happened he gave me enough of the med to make it through until I could get in to see the Pain Doc on a Monday. This was on a Friday night. I never want to go through that again in my life. I really am pulling for you that you do not have to go through it either.
    I wish you the best, nana2007~Dawn
  • I am sorry that it got that bad for you but I am Thankful that you were able to get a script so that you could get back on track. I really feel for you, as I said I know what it is like and fun is not what it is.
    On my way to the Er and until I had the dose in me it seemed to take hours before I could settle down enough to rest.
    I hope that you are getting the rest you need now and will soon be back to your old self. Keeping you in my thought's!!!!
  • Cold turky?uuuggghhh,i went through that,i dont want to do it again! long story short,my nurse saw me in a little town where i had stopped off to get something to settle my stomach,i didnt recognize her,i dont know if withdrawls do that to ya,she came up to me and took muy hand and said i need to go to the er,i looked like i felt aparently,griff i hope you have a support system in place to make sure you donr go there,round 2 weeks of hell for me,...way to go doc.
    i loved how this provider in her hour of need ,saw to my needs,her hubby has cancer...its amazing who these ANGELS are,and what they do.griff,glad you got what ya needed!!!!!!!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Glad your surgeon is compassionate. You are lucky to have him and I am so glad you did not have to go through total withdraw!
  • Thanks to everyyone :)

I'm fully back to "normal", whatever that is LOL!

I finally have my pain levels back down and the stomach stuff is under control. I finally feel okay again. I can't believe how fast that happened and how brutal withdrawl can be at such a low dose. I feel for anyone who has to go through this at full speed.

Lesson to all of us: Don't let this happen to you! I took for granted that I could obtain my meds because my doc trusted me. These doctors are governed by the DEA who change the rules on a whim and can make their lives a living hell. I would never ask my doc to do anything illegal to make me more comfortable. I need her to be there for me and I appreciate the fact that she is law abiding.

I was so lucky to have an understanding surgeon to bail me out of my own mess. Rest assured that, in the future, I will make sure that I can get my happy butt into my docs office once a month to get my scripts. I never want to do that ( :sick: ) again!

• I missed the weekend, obviously, as I was at a camp with no internet, much less TV! But I'm glad you got a script, I was really worried, withdrawl is awful, even with trying to taper down! It sucks, I have had it happen a few times because none of the pharmacies have had my meds! Luckily I found them soonish, but cold turkey is no good! Thank goodness for your surgeon!