Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Microdiscectomy 10 Day PostOp Update

shez1325sshez1325 Posts: 49
edited 12/28/2014 - 11:20 PM in Recovering from Surgery

Had first follow up appointment with surgeon today, 10 day post op. Incision looking good. Nurse took dressing off gave it a clean up and replaced it with another waterproof dressing which I can remove in 5 days. After which can shower normally, start to apply vitamin E cream and massage to help with scar tissue. Still fairly swollen at site. Dissolvable stitches, always a bonus! I will continue to ice my back.

Gee it's hard to get my surgeon to explain anything, top surgeon but lacking on bedside manner! Clear to start physiotherapy, work on core strength and rehabilitation. Basically need to just take it easy and not change what I'm doing until I see physio. He says I would have had the numbness I am feeling now in my foot and leg before surgery just that the severe pain I was having would have masked it. I don't think so but pain does do weird things, so I'll go with it. Reckons it may take up to 12 months for the numbness to resolve. I have slight swelling around my ankle of my affected leg which I told him and nurse about they said its common related to surgery, didn't even check it out, just asked if I had an ache in my calf to rule out blood clot. Oh and no more compression stockings!

I will follow up again with Surgeon in 3 weeks time.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good. I have had good resolution of my pain after surgery. The car ride today stirred my back up a bit. Have been on feet for most of the day and feeling it a little now. Rest will help. Trying to stay positive which gets a tad frustrating at times as I'm so far off my normal routine and it's a bit of a crappy time of year to be in this situation - can't wait to see physio and get a bit of a plan happening and more of a frank discussion about rehab. I will post again after Seeing surgeon in 3 weeks time as others posts really help me with the unknown.

Best wishes to you all,

Happy New Year - May it bring health and happiness X

• Sounds like you're doing really well other than the numbness. I heard it can take at least a year for the nerves to heal. I have good days and not so good days.
  • jewfro18jjewfro18 Posts: 7
    edited 12/30/2014 - 7:55 AM
    I had the same procedure 3 weeks ago (also a great surgeon, apparently he fixes a lot of these surgeries that went "wrong"), but he is not very good at explaining things, which can be quite frustrating.

Surgery took 2 hours instead of 45 mins, and my mom claimed he told her it was due to a blood clot he found and also stenosis. However, at my two week post op when I asked what took so long (b/c I wanted the details), he just shrugged and said "It was herniated. Lot of work to do in there". Very annoying. For all I know his surgical assistant did part of the procedure and messed up and he had to fix it. I mean who knows???

Anyway, I started walking the next day and am up to two miles/day, just started swimming (i live in miami) and also going to start stationary bike today.

• I had a microdisectomy and a laminectomy on 12/26 and im still using a walker and finding it hard to walk normally (my hips automatically push forward). Reading your stories make me feel like im doing something wrong! I have a physical therapist that comes here twice a week and other than fixing my posture and such, she says Im doing everything right. I have a lot of stairs at my job and my job requries a lot of sitting and I dont see myself returning there for a while. I have mainly have discomfort at the incision site and my butt starts to hurt when im sitting for too long. I wonder how long itll take me until I can go back to work and sit for roughly 8 hours. Im getting so frustrated becuase I read all these stories about people returning to work after 10 days and I dont understand how. Im staying at my parents house and I miss my apartment and my life! SO FRUSTRATING!!!
  • Spiny_MaloneSSpiny_Malone Posts: 225
    edited 01/09/2015 - 7:43 AM
    I'm back to work 6 months after. But I had an emergency spine operation and was paralyzed. I leaned on my left leg to get me around, and I've had to work both of them back to walking. I still suffer numbness and motor skills in the foot are at about 50 percent. Do not let anyone but your good common sense drive you back to work. Take your time. Spine surgery isn't an instant fix. Some are lucky with their 10 days back. Some aren't. Find out how you are doing by slowly working with physio to learn how to sit and how to increase the time for sitting.
    Work will always be there.
    Good luck and keep hanging in there! Recovery is frustrating. Build your mental game now, it will help you in the future.

Best :)
  • Thanks Spiny Malone! I'm so sorry to hear the position that you're in. I truly wish you the best and hope everyday you're getting better..

You are 100% right and mostly everyone on this site tells me the same thing. DO NOT RUSH BACK TO WORK. I'm a pretty active person (mentally and phsyically) and it's hard for me to not doing anything. My stiches had to stay in for an extra week because my wound wasnt healing properly so the dr. will hopefully take them out this Wednesday. After that I told my job it'll be about 3-4 weeks until i could return and that was an estimate. At work i have 27 stairs to go up before i get to my office and once im there it's a lot of sitting. Also once im there, i have to go back downstairs to do things so its then 27 stairs down and 27 stairs up, maybe 3 times a week. I know once im back, then im back for good and im expected to do my job in it's entirety. As much as i love my job and i cant wait to be back there and see everyone, im scared to rush it and reherniate these disks and start from scratch. So i think 3-4 weeks should be enough time but I also dont want to baby myself and take too much. I think the hardest part of this whole thing has been mental for me. My mind is always working and always worrying about everything. As much as i know i need to calm down and just relax, i cant. If it's not work then im worrying about the gym and my weight. I know it's spine surgery and it's serious and if i dont take the time things will get worse. I think overall this has just been overwhelming because this all happened so fast. One day im in unbearable pain the next day im admitted to the hospital for conservative measures before doing surgery and then after those failed Im in the operating rooms. I spent the holidays in the hospital and it was completely unexpected. This all happened so fast and i guess it's just hard for me to accept.

Anyways, thanks so much for your kind words and positive thoughts. I dont know if my response made any sense but it made me feel better to write it, so thank you.

• We all will have different recovery time lines JG1003. Go easy on yourself your not even 4weeks post op! Calm the mind it is hard but try to find some things to distract you. Turn the "struggle switch " off in your mind and just let it be, don't fight your situation and see how that makes you feel.

I am feeling better after seeing my Physio. I am so paranoid about rehurniating I was being too careful about my movements and need to work on loosening up and moving like normal again.

Hope you are all well and thanks for sharing.
  • Hi All,
    Checking in hope all is well. I have been working on building up my walking and generally do 2 miles a day with one long walk each week. If I hurt, I will take a day or 2 off per week. I feel that adding deep tissue massage each week has also helped keep my hip looser and also my back muscles. Today we went for a 5.5 mile walk and run. I probably ran about 5 segments each no more than .3 miles. I find taking 2 aleve in the morning and one during the day gets me through. I have returned to work full time and try to make a habit of getting up mulitiple times during the day and when possible sitting at a higher work station. Stretching each time I go to the bathroom also helps. Doing stretches like hip flexors, quads, and glutes really helps. Ice is my savior! Hope everyone is doing great!
  • Had microdiscetomy on l4/5 Oct 29th 2014, Recovery was going well, then developed plantar facsitis in both feet, but worse in my left foot as I have foot drop from the nerve being compressed. The feet giving me grief and hard to go walking which is what I need to to. I go swimming often which is wonderful. My back has been playing up not like before op but have niggles and also in ankle and knee occassionally, has anyone else suffered from this problems?