Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had a fusion from T-10 to S1 still in horrible pain anyone with this type of surgery out there!

I have had a total of ten lumbar surgeries, I fractured eleven vertebra and have been in terrible pain since 2007, my last surgery was two years ago with 14 rods put in between the hip pain from bone harvest to the extreme back pain it is a challenge! Is there anyone that has had this type of surgery? I haven't fused down low L-4 L-5 an have constant movement an my legs feel so heavy it's hard to walk thy feel like I've ran a marathon! They also used BMP because my own was not working. Pain management is basically a joke, I don't feel like I'm getting the proper pain meds an feel I shouldn't be in this level of pain everyday, my surgeon wants me to have a pain stim put in but I am afraid, I would appreciate any input!!!

• shouston7sshouston7 SOUTH CAROLINAPosts: 33
    edited 12/30/2014 - 1:31 PM
    Hi Maggie, I am sorry you are having so much pain, I cannot imagine having that extensive type of surgery. It hurts to even read what you had done!
    Just know that you are not alone as far as pain.
    I do know that a good friend of mine has a spine pain stimulator and she says it helps her quite a bit! Everyone's different though. She had several failed back surgeries and this has worked for her.
    You are in my prayers!
    S. Houston
  • My heart goes out to you Maggie. I am nine months out from L1-S1 surgery (5 levels fused) post surgery staph infection and another surgery to debreed and scrub staph off hardware. I had extreme pain the first 3 months and had to live hour by hour. My supportive husband, children and home care nurses were the only thing that got me through each day and night. I have had other back surgeries, a hip replacement and natural child births that were walks in the park compared to the 5 level fusions. The two things besides pain meds that have helped with the pain is ice packs several times a day and exercising in warm water therapy pool. Recovery has been very slow but I stay optimistic ( most days) that it I continue to do specific exercises I will improve!. I had a series of cold laser treatments that helped a bit my butt and leg pain. Hang is there dear Maggie!
    1977 L2-L3 Laminectomy
    Degenerative Disc Disease
    2013. Sudden Degenerative adult Scoliosis
    3/26/14 L1-S-1 Fusions and instrumentation
    4/10/14 surgery to scrub staph infection off hardware & drain tissue
  • PrincessGrammyPPrincessGrammy Posts: 15
    edited 02/04/2015 - 7:29 AM
    Hi Maggie. I am fused from T10 to S1 as well. I had part of that done in 2000 and had several good years. In 2011 I had more fused making it the T10 to S1. It did not fuse and in 2012 they redid it. I had a miserable year trying to figure out what was wrong. I have pain, if I do too much. It is hard to do things, and that is frustrating. I have recently taken up exercising in water. I go 3 times a week, I rarely swim, but I walk or jump in the water, swing my legs, etc. It helps a lot, often more drugs are not the answer. But as long as you check out that nothing is wrong. They can also get you a tens machine too. I cannot walk far without some help. For instance, walking in the mall is out, but in a store its OK if I have a cart. So a cane might help you I just do not want to use one. I highly recommend exercising in a pool if you have access to one. Good luck.